ID these please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tat2z_21

tat2z_21
So here it goes. I will have to give a brief discription of them due to the fact my camera can not take pictures good enough to give a visual reference. They are small, brown, long tentacle, almost anemone like however they do not get any bigger then the tip of a pencil. I have had them in the tank now for almost 3 weeks under a 150w halide and they have almost doubled in numbers. I will supply a picture and hopefully someone has seen these and can tell me if they are good or not.

DSC02947.jpg

Your description sounds suspiciously like Colonial Hydroids.
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&um=1

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&um=1

HydroidsAsm.jpg

Oh and NO, they aren't good. However, they also are kind of a pain to get rid of. Typically, they come and go, with maturing tanks. I've had them overgrow a couple beautiful colonies of Zoanthids and there was nothing I could do, but watch it happen. I did find that coating them with a thick covering of Kalk paste did slow their growth down. I always wanted to try boiling water, but never did, due to their proximity to above mentioned Zoanthids.

Well that is what I thought as well but they do not get bigger then the tip of a pencil. They have long flowing polyps and have spread really quick. I know what aptasia is because I am battling the genetically developed tank devil in my main tank. But these do not look anything like aptasia. If you look closely at the bubbles in the center of the picture you will see the brown covering that would be them and that is the biggest they get.

Those are definately it Sid. Now that I found out what they are what are the ways people have dealt with them. Like I said they have turned into a prolific hydroid army and devistating the zoos I had sitting next to the rock.

Oh and hey you guys are awesome. I wrote this 10 minutes ago and have already found out what I am being plagued with and the fact that there is no way to get rid of these things. So thank you guys for your help no off to the drawing board on a way to get rid of these.

Can they just be pulled/scraped from the rockwork? They look like they should pull off of the rockwork in one piece? Just wishful thinking??? :D

Back