Ideas Wanted for new Project.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Peppie

So I have seen this site set idle for sometime now.
I would like to contribute to RF in offering to do a project and document it for the members.
IMO it should be simple enough for most DIY to tackle on their own with basic tools.

So keep that in mind and lets keep it simple.
Its up to you members, Lets have some suggestion.
Maybe a mod can jump in here and help get the ball rolling? Maybe take a poll with a list of the projects suggested?
Maybe raffle of the finished product?

I am open to all thoughts. Lets not let this thread site go stale

Peppie

Dave I know it's been done many times but a good quality simple stand and hood construction is always helpful to see, especially for the newby's who have seen all this 2x4 and 4x4 and 4x6 and even 6x6 overbuilt behemoths in other "build" threads. Or maybe just a hood as a lot of people are running an open top tank on a stand already and may be thinking about putting some of those new fangled LED lights and thinking, "boy they sure would look neat inside a nice wooden hood" but not have any idea how to put something like that together. Maybe you can show something similar to the design we came up with on our hood??? Just an idea, as simple as it may be.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Eric. duly noted, That could be easily done.
We need more suggestions Please,

Well....we could do a 4'x4' stand with integrated electrical cabinet.....HAHAHAHAHAHA

I think the stand idea is cool but has been over done. How about a stand build but with emphasis on how to ensure squareness and flatness as well as some simple ways to dress it up and look nicer.

Hey Dave I think your woodworking skills and projects that you have already done are more than worthy of a workshop thread all on thier own. I believe that Scooty, Mojo Krish could edit them down into a nice clean workshop if asked. As far as a new ideas Eric has a great point in doing a simple stand or canopy build that could be done with basic tools. Don should be back on track soon with his workshop also so this forum can make some forward progress in the near future. I plan on doing a LED Workshop off the build thread to my canopy for the 125 as well. Just as soon as I finish replacing the last few windows.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks for the replys. So far the simple stand and hoods are winning.
We dont have to make it a wood thing there are a number of small acrylic doo-dads that can be easily made with simple tools. Just a thought.

Todd the cold rain will be here sooner than you think. That would be a great excuse not to open a hole in the side of your house. If you can just put them off till then...... LOL
Seriously. The builds I have posted could be used as a reference, But some of the tools to do some of the work are not in your regular reefers garage.
I'm sure I could do something with a skillsaw and a drill. and a few clamps (that means Eric would have to buy some) LOL

Keep them coming all
Remember you dont know if you can unless you try

So I have seen this site set idle for sometime now.
I would like to contribute to RF in offering to do a project and document it for the members.
IMO it should be simple enough for most DIY to tackle on their own with basic tools.

So keep that in mind and lets keep it simple.
Its up to you members, Lets have some suggestion.
Maybe a mod can jump in here and help get the ball rolling? Maybe take a poll with a list of the projects suggested?
Maybe raffle of the finished product?

I am open to all thoughts. Lets not let this thread site go stale

Peppie

Hey Peppie! Let me know what you need. If you want a poll created I think the members have the option to create their own poll or if you would like me to set it up, just give me the options and I will create it for you. I don't mind doing that one bit! :) Don (DonW) had a workshop thread going with video footage of his "build's", but work just slammed him so it had to be put on hold. Good to see people like you wanting to step up and do something like this! :)

As mentioned, let me know what you need from my end. I'm always around as you know so it's no problem to get things going whichever route you decide to take. :)

Adjustable probe holder?

Crazyfish, got ya covered will be doing one shortly (easy copy of the Eshopps type ) I was planning on making two of them, a stationary glue on for my sump and a movable magnetic one to show both applications.

Cheers, Todd

Crazyfish, got ya covered will be doing one shortly (easy copy of the Eshopps type ) I was planning on making two of them, a stationary glue on for my sump and a movable magnetic one to show both applications.

Cheers, Todd

Todd I desperately need one of those.

Something with acrylic sounds great... Hmmmm Let me see....

Over Sump Fan Rack...

Hmmm.. What else is there...

Ahh I got a few good ones for acrylic...

• HOB Seahorse Feeding Trough

• Calcium Reactor / Bio Pellet Reactor / Some sort of Reactor

A simple sump/refugium out of acrylic with probe holders and filter sock holders

There we go, now the ball is rolling. I thought we could let this question stay posted for a week or so and then take the 4-5 most popular answers and do a poll on them and see witch one gets the most votes. Then maybe we could hold some kind of contest-raffle draw to see who would receive the finished build.
Any feed back on that would also be good
Thanks to all for the replies. Keep them coming.

Peppie

Hmmm maybe I should, really does not take much longer to make 3 or 4 on these type of DIY projects than to make just one for myself.

Todd

Then we would probably do a 3-4 probe holder and magnetic as well. Our sump is 3/8" thick acrylic though so I guess it would depend on if you have that kind of magnet available on your stock shelves :D

Back