Identification: Anemone?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sherman

Has Met Willis
I just picked up a couple of these from another reefer, because I'd never seen anything like them. Some of his were easily the size of a silver dollar, this one is about the size of a quarter. They also seemed to grow in colony fashion, with several of them spread down a branch of rock.

I'm assuming it's an anemone, and not of the palythoa family due to at least three rows of tentacles at the edges.

Has anyone seen these before, or have any clues as to ID?

mystery+polyp.jpg

I hadn't even thought to look at the foot. Wow. Duh.

Taking a closer look definitely leads to me anemone over anything else. I originally glued this thing to the rubble. Now, the foot has extended over the glue completely, only 2 days later. Another reefer has suggested the possibility of Anthopleura Elegantissima, but this is a cold water anemone. Perhaps this is a warm water relative? I read that the suggested anemone will attach shells and debris to its foot and under body to avoid dessication. Similarly, this anemone has attached sand to its foot and under body, as well. I even tried to brush it off, but it stayed attached.

mystery+polyp+foot.jpg

Hello,
They are sold under the name Flower or Rock anemone (Epicystis crucifer) and they come from the warm waters of the Caribbean.

HTH,
Kevin

rock/flower vote, have had one for a couple of years, he/she is VERY sticky, I do wonder what would happen if one of my local residents would wonder into it, but so far a very peaceful addition with a big appetite.

It is possible that this IS a cold water anemone. Some cold water critters survive for quite a while in a tropical tank. They die prematurely but it takes them a while.

I think KevinPo got it right. I've had a couple other suggestions of the same. It will be fun to watch how this thing spreads.

Back