IM SCrewd

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

37tall

so i built myself a sump.....replaced the milliunium 3000 filter and began runngin it. ( i had a problemwith red slime but fixed it in a day) the next day i awake to find all my coral closed up including my xania (all 13 colonies) hammer, spawn. Everythign excpet teh zoos.i take my water in and for a two month old tank i had good nitrates and perfect water. but then i realzied maybe the salinity. so i checkd that out 1.026......high. fixed that but they still wont open. only additives im using right now are aggramilk kalkwasser. any suggestion in what to do

1.026 is not high. The worst thing you can do right now if the corals are stressed is change stuff ie salinity. What is your PH, ALK, CA readings? What lighting? What is your salinity now? What is good NO3? Tell me a little about your tank. From the start a 2 month old tank with 13 colonies is pushing it.

Your salinity is fine. Instead of giving us "good nitrates" how about some actual readings on Ammonia, Nitrates, ph Ca, Mg and Alk? Yeah, Salinity too...what the heck. I'd give your corals some time. However, you've seriously rushed things in setting this tank up. How are you mixing and dosing Kalk? Are you making sure to test Ca, Alk, pH and Mg? If dosing Kalk without measuring at least Ca, Alk, pH and Mg, you could run into some huge problems!!

When you said "high salt" and you fixed that how did you do it? If you lowered or raised the salinity too quickly it could affect the corals, but 1.026 is about where you'd want to sit:)

hey guess.....im back sry bout that...my slainity was 1.032 and i made it to 1.026. to get that out of the way. im using right now ( rotating back and forth) aragaMILK its a calcium and liquidaragonite buffer. Secodly im using Calcium and ph/ alkalinity from oceans blend. i cant tell you specifics but i took a gallon in for testing( at a place called ocean reef in jacksonville ..my buds work their) they said in general that my water perimeters were great.. and yes i had a mix up its probably been three and a half months now i guess but tits still a little early. everythign is just growing a crzy rates....ohh and my ph is 8.3. So would yall please tell me what i should buy to monitor my water and be in the safe again. thanks

1.032 to 1.026 is a big jump in salinity to make in one fail swoop. You should be edging down very slowly over several days, not one (or maybe that's what you did?). Give your corals a few days, starting the sump should have put the corals into a tailspin unless there is something that you put into the sump that may be contributing? Is it simply a sump with raw overflow water, skimmer and return or did you set up as a fuge and put sand/algae in?

Back