In need of plumbing/bulkhead advice.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

menace78

I'm setting up a 75g bowfront and need advice on what size bulkheads I need or any tips on a better way to plumb it all.
I made up a little drawing with #'s for the bulkheads so there easy to identify for replies.

I'll be running about 1800gph threw a closed loop threw a manifold built into the sand on the bottom fed threw 2 bulkheads in the back glass since I can't drill the bottom of this tank.

The 2 sump return lines with be seperate, each running about 350gph.

The only part of this that set in stone is the 2 return pumps and the closed loop pump.
I havn't baught any of the bits, bulkheads, pvc, or even the plexi for the overflow.
I have an open canvace to work with.

any help or sugestions would be apreciated.

Thank you,
Casey

The illistration is just to show orientation.
I'm still trying to decide weather the closed loop will feed from the overflow or just from the back wall of the tank with a cover.
I'm not sure I want the possible noise of 2500gph crashing over the overflow.

I plan on the bulkhead flanges being atleast 2" apart puting the holes somewhere around 3-4" apart depending on bulkhead size.

But thank you for the concern. :)

IMHO The 2 center holes are too close to one another and would cause a crack.

No ideas on sizes huh?

I'm thinking about 1.5" bulkheads for the sump and closed loop output and 3/4" for the returns and closed loop manifold inputs.

This sound like a good size?
Or does anyone know of an acurate calculator for bukhead size?
I've found a few online but they all seem to give different sizes.

On the My 180. I used 1.5" plumbing all the way up to the 3/4" BH for the CL bulkheads. I used 1.5" BH for CL intakes. Dual 1.5" BH bernie style overflow to the intake to the sump. 3/4" pipes for the sump pump return to dual returns.

Make sure you get good solid seals on your pipes or else you'll be playing the leak game like me.

What kind of gph do you run threw you'r
sump? I'm going to be running a max of 700gph. would i need a second 1.5" bh for the sump or would 1 do the job?

I'll have about 10" tall by 1.5" round dorsal standpipe with 1 90° bend on the bottom going out the back into the 1.5" BH.

On the My 180. I used 1.5" plumbing all the way up to the 3/4" BH for the CL bulkheads. I used 1.5" BH for CL intakes. Dual 1.5" BH bernie style overflow to the intake to the sump. 3/4" pipes for the sump pump return to dual returns.

Make sure you get good solid seals on your pipes or else you'll be playing the leak game like me.

I run about 740 GPH give or take for half a foot of head loss...

I use dual 1.5" returns t'd into one 1.5" line with a gate valve on it into the sump.

I just looked up the bernie style overflow and now see why you run 2 BHs.
If you have them both draining into 1 1.5" line, than 1x 1.5 BH should work for what I'm doing.

Thank you for the input.

I run about 740 GPH give or take for half a foot of head loss...

I use dual 1.5" returns t'd into one 1.5" line with a gate valve on it into the sump.

Back