In The Beginning

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MINIATUS

I just starting to dry fit everything for My new setup and have noticed a few things that bother Me. maybe someone might have some answers.
the baffles are taking up too my room in my opinion. Is there other ways of breaking up the bubbles as they enter the sump.
I was hoping to put the Reactor in the sump along with the skimmer, leaving space under the cabinet for the regulator. The way the reactor and regulator are fitted into a small space Im worried that the line to the float valve will get pulled out or something.

Ive taken a few pics to show the layout. Im trying to sort all this out before the final setup is started.

MINIATUS :idea:

I'd move the baffles closer together. About 1" to 1-1/2" apart. That should give you a couple more inches.

You got the baffles backwards MIN!! lol you want the first one to be an under. I would pull the last baffle so have the first one be a under and then the second be an over. To help thier is a little trick we do. I am not sure what your drain lines are but for sake of the explaination lets say they are 1 inch. Take a 1 1/2 inch peice of pipe and glue a flat end cap on one end. Cut the ppe so it is 2 inches lower then the height of the first baffle. Now take a globe of silicone and glue it to the bottom of the sump right where your return lines come in. The get your return lines and slide them into these pipes (kinda like a sleeve) and cut the retun pipes so they come to with in 2 inches of the bottom of the sump. What happens is that the flow goes down the drain line and into this pipe, the water then returns up through the sleeve and comes out the top, you should loose a big chunk of the bubbles with this upward motion. Think of it as kind of a built in baffle.

Mike

Shoot I just realized that. :eek: That idea you suggested would that be enough to break the bubbles then I could totally eliminate the baffles all to gether giving me more room in the sump for other things. That would be ideal but not in a real world. Keep it comming everyone as I want this to be right the first time and not trying to fix it when its full of water.
Mike can you show me a pic or diagram of what you said.

MINIATUS :confused:

I dont know if it will replace all the baffles, but it will definately replace at least one for sure, maybe two.

MIke

This morning I total removed the baffles, and need to work on the bubbles.
Got to love that idea. So Im working with 1 1/2 right now.my middle will be the same and the outside about 2-3 inchs. Room in the cabinet is ver limited now so if I can put the reactor in the sump Id be good to go. Mike if you put rubbles around that inside tube would that remove the bubbles. I can also put a sponge on the return pump.

Min you dont want to put rubble around that. If you do you will be creating a highly oxygenated source of water, add the rock and you will have the equal to using bioballs.

Mike

Conclusion is I will need to build the fixture Mike suggest. and wire clips to keep wires in place.I hate a sump with wires everywhere. That will finish part one .Other ideas still would be appreciated.

MINIATUS :D

Ok MOJO
This is what Ive come up with. I think it will work and only takes up a 3 in circle.

MINIATUS

After the bogus advice I contributed, I have been following this thread with interest. I think something that would help reduce the amount of bubbles coming from my skimmer.

Im lucky in that sense. I have a turboflotor that has a black box attached. I keep carbon and phosguard in there and that helps to break up skimmer buubles.
No advise is bogus you are stateing your opinions and the last time I checked we are all entitled to them, unless your on RC than your opinion dont count.
MINIATUS

Its all good Finn, keep the opinions coming.

My my Min you have been a craftsmen sob lately, lol

mike

Back