In Wall - going for it! - seeking your ideas/feedback/advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I agree, trust the gut. The person I talked to bought it at a show up here and I saw some pictures that looked awesome. Plus I am a fan of the glass tanks. Sorry for the misdirection, and good to know they don't come to Seattle anymore.
-chris

I agree, trust the gut. The person I talked to bought it at a show up here and I saw some pictures that looked awesome. Plus I am a fan of the glass tanks. Sorry for the misdirection, and good to know they don't come to Seattle anymore.
-chris

Oh dude Chris - no misdirection at all my friend. any advice/ideas/suggestions always welcomed. I know ultimately I would have buyers remorse if I didn't check them out. I think it's good to weigh all options and pick the best one. I've spent so much time/money on my last tank I know for a fact that me exploring all available options is definately what I need to do this time around. If they were coming to seattle, it sounds like it would be a good idea, but doesn't look like they will be.

You could post a "want to buy" thread on some other forums...ReefCentral, etc.

Good idea again Jan - once I get my finalized list together of all parts, I'll do that. I'll probably just stick with reeffrontiers though. I've never been too big into any of the other sites.

Ironically enough, I put a call into Jason today too. I said I'd never go acrylic again, but I've also seen the work he's done on Mark's (dragoneggs) tank and I've talked with Kirk (NC2WA) who is in the midst of a 370g project w/ Jason and he seems happy so far. Kirk is also getting a custom steel stand built for his tank by Jason which sounds neat.

It's just the scratching that deterred me from Acrylic. Also, my IAP 55 gallon is bowing pretty good in the back (no offense to Brian - I don't think he was around when I bought my tank), but that was another thing I want to avoid was the bowing with acrylic.

Then again, acrylic is clearer, lighter, and easier to build custom. It's also easier for a closed loop. It'll be interesting to see what I end up with. There are pros and cons to each :)

I'm going to see what Jason from CFI can offer and also see if Wil at Reef Mystique has any other ideas, but if I ranked these in order of preference (mostly comes down to price) as it stands now and here is how it looks:

444840746_8f2c1e07d6_o.jpg

I'm bummed I can't go deeper. But going deeper would put me over by about $1k more than it already is and that probably isn't gonna fly with the better half.

Last edited:
So while I marinate on my tank options a bit, I also though I'd try to figure out what all I'd need for plumbing. I've never done a closed loop before, but tried to draw out a diagram here of what it would be like if I had a glass tank and did an over the top manifold. Any suggesitons are appreciated for a first timer at the closed loop deal.

Parts:
444515914_5bfc316c62_o.jpg

Here's what I'm thinking it might look like (any suggesitons appreciated)
444476501_7936e34ed6_o.jpg

First time I've done a closed loop, so suggestions/corrections/tips all are appreciated.

Hi gang,

Here's a couple options I was thinking about:
  • A standard off the shelf 120g AGA - 48"L x 24"W x 24"H.
  • Oceanic makes a 140g - 48"L x 24"W x 30"H
  • I could try to maybe get something custom built at 48" x 30" (or 36") x 24" (or 30")

I was at Blue Sierra tonight and they had a glass 140g tank that was 48" long. Might be something you want to call about. I think it had the 2 megaflow overflows in it.

I was at Blue Sierra tonight and they had a glass 140g tank that was 48" long. Might be something you want to call about. I think it had the 2 megaflow overflows in it.

Thanks Jamie - yeah, I was talking to Carl about it. Said it was a special order for a customer who already paid. They were asking $1233 for the regular Oceanic 120 and he didn't have the price off hand for the 140, but it was 29 inches tall so not exactly what I'm looking for. They are nice b/c they ahve starfire fronts, but essentially they are the same thing as an AGA, just with a starfire front.

Ben

Last edited:
Ben,

On those Aquarium Obsessed Tanks in your chart you have the height and width backwards. Unless I am mistaken, they were 48x30x24 and 48x36x24. Please correct me if I am wrong. I'll work up our best pricing on the equipment I see in your chart a few posts up and PM you.

Thanks

Ben on your closed loop suction, I see a BH with a strainer, where will the BH be located? You will need a 1 1/2" or more BH for the suction on that pump, preferably two to reduce the tank suction. Also don't plan on putting them in the overflow because that pump will suck them dry unless you modify them to allow more water to get in, defeating the overflow purpose almost completely. Otherwise like the outlets, nice plan, Loc-line is expensive huh! LOL

Ben,

On those Aquarium Obsessed Tanks in your chart you have the height and width backwards. Unless I am mistaken, they were 48x30x24 and 48x36x24. Please correct me if I am wrong. I'll work up our best pricing on the equipment I see in your chart a few posts up and PM you.

Thanks

Thanks Cy - you are right and totally appreciate you taking a peak at the other items to see what can be done too. I also saw some of the dimentions were off on that snapshot so just replaced it a corrected list to avoid confusion. thx.
P.S - you got mail.

Ben on your closed loop suction, I see a BH with a strainer, where will the BH be located? You will need a 1 1/2" or more BH for the suction on that pump, preferably two to reduce the tank suction. Also don't plan on putting them in the overflow because that pump will suck them dry unless you modify them to allow more water to get in, defeating the overflow purpose almost completely. Otherwise like the outlets, nice plan, Loc-line is expensive huh! LOL

Thanks Scooty -I haven't figured out the BH placement yet. It kinda depends on what tank I end up going with. If one of the aquarium obsessed tanks or acrylic, I'll probably just get a couple wholes drilled in the bottom for that or maybe the sides. If i go w/ AGA, I don't know what to do. Maybe an over the top suction? yes locline is expensive - in fact, all of the plumbing is expensive - man - I had no idea.

Question: if you did two BHs, do you just connect them with a T before they go into the pump?

dood.... Brian is with IAP - Jason is with Clear Fabrications. and both do acrylic work.

LOL!!!! i didn't know, i always thought he works for Clear Fabrications :lol: .

well i just mentioned them because i believe they do glass too :p or somewhere i read it :p.

well i suck at plumbing (dam!! someday i'm gonna freaking plumb something even if i end up with tons of gals in the floor :p) so you don't want ideas from me dood.

Ben,

Since you are planning this as a SPS dominated tank, for my money I would get the Hammerhead now, instead of a Barracuda. I understand the Hammerhead is $30 more, but gotta like Krish's idea of FLOW FLOW FLOW when it comes to an SPS tank.

To help with costs, you could plan your closed-loop plumbing similar to how I have:
You know you want the Oceans Motions 4-way ($339). I want a Motorized Ball Valve (~$450). With the cost of everything else, and in keeping my better-half from chewing off my backside, I plumbed my closed loop FOR my Motorized Ball Valve... but currently have PVC taking its place. That will be my next "Add-On" (and, I know there will ALWAYS be more add-on's), but helped keep things where I could afford them. My plumbing is ready, I just need to close some valvues, and install later when I get the extra $$$.

Would my system be better with the Ball-Valve in now. OF COURSE!!! Would I have my in-wall if I had spent the extra money, AND still be married today??? Possiblly not!!! :D

Ben,
I want a Motorized Ball Valve (~$450).

I think I paid $365 for my 1 1/2" Hayward MBV but that doesn't include the timer relay, which I'm sure DonW could get you one at a reasonable price, I went fancy with mine & got a PLC to control it:D (freebie)~;)

Ben,

Since you are planning this as a SPS dominated tank, for my money I would get the Hammerhead now, instead of a Barracuda. I understand the Hammerhead is $30 more, but gotta like Krish's idea of FLOW FLOW FLOW when it comes to an SPS tank.

To help with costs, you could plan your closed-loop plumbing similar to how I have:
You know you want the Oceans Motions 4-way ($339). I want a Motorized Ball Valve (~$450). With the cost of everything else, and in keeping my better-half from chewing off my backside, I plumbed my closed loop FOR my Motorized Ball Valve... but currently have PVC taking its place. That will be my next "Add-On" (and, I know there will ALWAYS be more add-on's), but helped keep things where I could afford them. My plumbing is ready, I just need to close some valvues, and install later when I get the extra $$$.

Would my system be better with the Ball-Valve in now. OF COURSE!!! Would I have my in-wall if I had spent the extra money, AND still be married today??? Possiblly not!!! :D

Ed - good advice man. I was hoping you'd chime in. $30 really isn't that big of a deal in the big scheme of things if you think I'd be wishing I went larger later down the road - I thought the barracuda might be overkill as is, but no?

Hey, can I ask you a question. I remember you opted to go without an access panel above your tank which is in the garage. I also remember you opted to go without building a seperate room. In hindsight, would you have done different on either? Any other tips you can share with me about the in walls is totally welcomed as this will be my first attempt.

Scooty/Ed - what made you choose a MBV vs. an oceans motions? they seem more expensive. are they superior in your opininions?

Can't say for sure Ben, I never had an OM. I think either one will have advantages & disadvantages. Rather than switching from one port to the next the MBV switches headers, mine is 1 1/2" which is split up to 4 of the 3/4" HD BH's then inside the tank I split again reducing from 3/4" Loc-lines to 1/2" Loc-lines. This action moves water from 8 ports on each side at once, sorta like a large wave but not that aggressive. I don't have standing water but in two easily vacuumed corners, I don't have corals to say for sure but I don't think I would need any supplemental flow anywheres. Honestly I don't know, I don't have the spider looking plumbing to mess with but the headers were tight on my tank as it is only 4ft long. I have the details in my showroom thread, sure wish I could personally show everyone up close how it all works, I'm sure the OM set-up is very nice also. SO guess no help LOL sorry! :)

Back