In Wall - going for it! - seeking your ideas/feedback/advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I am probably asking a question that has already been answered but after 20pages I decided better to ask. What are the dimensions on the tank and from who and how much?? I am looking for something similar I think just cant tell the size. thanks andy

I am probably asking a question that has already been answered but after 20pages I decided better to ask. What are the dimensions on the tank and from who and how much?? I am looking for something similar I think just cant tell the size. thanks andy

I know the tank is 48''wide 48''long 24'' high (240 gallons)

Matt

one thing....is the water always gonna be that high? :p

Hey gabs - not sure what exactly ya mean, but whatcha see is what ya get for water level in the tank. if you specify a little more, I can try to answer the question more clearly.

So why did you choose anodized say vs. powder coating? Why is the turn around two weeks out? I'm assuming it's being thrown in with other parts to cut down on cost so that would make sense. :)

Good question Jayson. See, I'm after an industrial type of look with a little artsy fartsy thrown in there. So what I did was grind the aluminum w/ a flapper grinder on all sides and put some nice spiral type swirls in it. in order to keep the look, I can option A - leave it as is which means I'll get little white corrosion spots over time or option B - anodize with clear coat. the powder coating would've meant you couldn't see the swirls or aluminum look. As far as the timeline, I had to call in a favor on this. I helped Ken with a tank emergency last weekend when his tank split in half, so he's taking care of me in the anodizing. since it's a favor, I don't have much leverage to move it up the priority list unless I want to pay the additional $.

Nice pics! Put me down for the bbq!

BTW what did you do to secure your rock structures? Are your islands mostly hollow?

Peace
You're definately invited Jesse! the rock structures aren't really secured by anything but weight at this point in time and pressure on the clear pegs. I have a ton of those ties, but it's hard to get in there and tie them up. The rock structures are pretty pourous with lots of little crevaces for the fish to swim about.

Clear Fabrication Inc
Jason hand builds all of his tank
1/2" clear Acrylic on all 4 sides
removable black out sides
rock racks & pegs
continous overflow in the back

Price I've been asked not to share b/c as you know acrylic prices vary quite a bit depending on availability. Give Jason a call though (one of our sponsor's and he can get you a quote pretty quickly)

4 x 4 x 2

Hey gabs - not sure what exactly ya mean, but whatcha see is what ya get for water level in the tank. if you specify a little more, I can try to answer the question more clearly.

What I think she means is your trim on the top of the tank should be about 1'' lower to cover the water line....

Matt

Thanks everyone else for the compliments and for sticking with me on the thread. I know it's been a long haul, but I feel like we're making good progress finally thanks to a lot of design help and contributions from a lot of great and knowledgable people on here. It's definatelly been a concerted effort..

I'll be tinkering with setting up all of my other equipment - Cat walk, controller, chiller, light rack, water change system, etc... and I'll keep you updated as I have other cool things to share.

What I think she means is your trim on the top of the tank should be about 1'' lower to cover the water line....

Matt

Oh yep.. that's on the "to tinker on list" and I'll probably match it on the bottom too so you don't see the starboard. I have some half round, but I think I'll try to find something a little different as it looks a little plain. Maybe I'll whip out the router and do something custom.

Oh yep.. that's on the "to tinker on list" and I'll probably match it on the bottom too so you don't see the starboard. I have some half round, but I think I'll try to find something a little different as it looks a little plain. Maybe I'll whip out the router and do something custom.

Poor Ben, Gets an awesome tank and has poeple picking in him in PMs and the open forums about the missing trim pieces. :p

BTW. Are those your 12K reeflux's? That tank sure looks brighter than the 55.

Poor Ben, Gets an awesome tank and has poeple picking in him in PMs and the open forums about the missing trim pieces. :p

BTW. Are those your 12K reeflux's? That tank sure looks brighter than the 55.

yep.. it's the the 12k reeflux and there is only one of them hooked up right now. I wonder if the dual ballast drives harder when there is only one hooked up? if not, then two other differences 1) I have an open top with this one to allow for better light penetration 2) I swithced to lumenarc reflectors. I can't wait till the lighting rack gets done and I'm able to try out the t5s too.

I'm starting to put together a fish list. Let me know what you think:

Existing fish:
  • Purple tang
  • squarebox anthias male
  • squarebox anthias female
  • maroon clown
  • bicolor blenny
  • flame hawk
  • pygmy angel - blue and yellow

Fish I'm 99.9% confident I'll add with time:
  • 1 psychodelic mandarin
  • 1 regular mandarin
  • 2 Bangai cardinals

Fish I'd like to add, but need your advice on:
  • Heniochus or two - reef safe? i REALLY want a big clam too and I've heard so not good things about butterfly fish and clams before.
  • small maroon clown to try to pair up with my big momma - this could be tough - she's mean
  • Pipe fish or two - save with inverts?
  • Another pair of clowns like true percs - can I mix any other clowns with my mean maroon moma?
  • blue hippo tang - can I mix with a purple tang?
  • blue throat trigger (male) - what's your'e experience with these?
  • 4 more female squareside anthias so I can have a harem

Ben,
This is one VERY cool build that you have going on. I remember when I stopped over to your place way back when and you were thinking of how to fit a slightly larger tank in your existing spot, lol. You know I'm going to have to swing by and snap some pics once you get the bad boy stocked up :D

Ben,
This is one VERY cool build that you have going on. I remember when I stopped over to your place way back when and you were thinking of how to fit a slightly larger tank in your existing spot, lol. You know I'm going to have to swing by and snap some pics once you get the bad boy stocked up :D

abso-freaking-lutsy Rick. would love to have you out for some photo ops. Then maybe gabs can get some of those close up pics she's asking for too. Hope to see you at the bbque and the invitation to stop by is always open...

abso-freaking-lutsy Rick. would love to have you out for some photo ops. Then maybe gabs can get some of those close up pics she's asking for too. Hope to see you at the bbque and the invitation to stop by is always open...

I'd love to show up when you throw a BBQ with my camera equipment in hand. Much of this stuff is above my head in terms of setup but it looks like you are doing an awesome job. Now I just have to get out of my condo and do a mondo tank myself!

LMAO!!! :lol :yes dood that's what i meant

Poor Ben, Gets an awesome tank and has poeple picking in him in PMs and the open forums about the missing trim pieces.

i'm not picking on him... i'm just asking :p:lol: ... plus i thought that may be you were just gonna let the corals grow so they can stick out of the water for a more natural look ;) :) .

Hey how about one of these type of clowns :D, i think he looks really kewl .

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1162710

Back