In Wall - going for it! - seeking your ideas/feedback/advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

well, in the case of 240g sps, it would be a toss up between the bm200 or the bm250, we have the bm250 on 500g system so it might be a little overkill on the 240g, but the bm200 might be slightly smaller than you want, but if you look at it in relative terms, a bm200 still outperforms a deltec ap701 which is rated for 380g regular stocking, 250g heavy stocking/sps tank, the deltec ap701 pulls 950lph of air the bm200 pulls 1,100 lph of air, so you would still probably be just fine with the bm200.

or you could mesh mod this beast, and it would be great too!
http://www.reefnut.com/reefshop/product_info.php?cPath=47&products_id=114
and a little cheaper...by about half, lol
these are made by the same people who make octopus, but they are cheaper and have better pumps, much easier to mod, and much better asperating venturi. not bad at all for the $$$

or you could mesh mod this beast, and it would be great too!
http://www.reefnut.com/reefshop/product_info.php?cPath=47&products_id=114
and a little cheaper...by about half, lol
these are made by the same people who make octopus, but they are cheaper and have better pumps, much easier to mod, and much better asperating venturi. not bad at all for the $$$

Excellent - that may be my choice right there. played with these much? seen them in person? shows they're rated up to 400 gallons (not that that means a whole lot). The price is certainly right. still think I'd need to do mesh mods?

classic400.jpg

Mark - thank you for this info!!!

Ben,

If you decide on a 240g tank, personally I do not believe a BM 200 is going to be a larger enough skimmer. I would get a skimmer that is rated for at least a minimum of 300 gallons or more.

In my opinion, this is one of the most important pieces of hardware that you can buy. Spend the extra $200-300 and get the BM 250 or a skimmer that is equal. I would rather over skim than under skim a system of this size.

My .02
Kirk

Ben,

If you decide on a 240g tank, personally I do not believe a BM 200 is going to be a larger enough skimmer. I would get a skimmer that is rated for at least a minimum of 300 gallons or more.

In my opinion, this is one of the most important pieces of hardware that you can buy. Spend the extra $200-300 and get the BM 250 or a skimmer that is equal. I would rather over skim than under skim a system of this size.

My .02
Kirk

Kirk - I agree man - that's sound advice. Underskimming is just not something I want to mess with - if it's borderline, I should probably opt for bigger. Another option would be to go for a redundant skimmer - I have in hand already a pretty good euroreef es6-1 (rated to 100g) that I could also keep and use. That's also a thought.

Think of it this way, get the bigger skimmer, it is one less piece of equipment you have to buy, when you decide one day that 240g is not a big enough tank.

<Now that will draw "the look" from the wife>

ROFL..
:lol: :lol:

I have in hand already a pretty good euroreef es6-1 (rated to 100g) that I could also keep and use.
I don't know about that skimmer, Ben. I still think you should post pics of it. :D

Dirty is one thing and an opaque layer of coralline algae is another! ;) ;)

(chuckle) - that's rough.. that just means my calcium and alkalinity are adequate.. :shock: :shock: :shock: Oh boy.. we could go on forever. I know, I know.. post a picture. I'll try do to so on another post to keep this one on track.

More skimmer help needed

I have an interesting delema - size restrictions on skimmer. The biggest chamber on my sump is 13.5 by 14.5.

• bm200 = 12.7" x 8.6"
  • bm250 = 14.2" x 9.5"
  • AE Classic 400 = 16.3in. x 14.5in.

Maybe I should be looking at a good external skimmer?

If not, I'd be limited to a bm 200 w/ running my euroreef along side it.

Can mods be done to these to turn them into external? I'd hate to do that, but unless I get a bigger sump - not something i necesarily want to do, I'm limited in space.

Oh man Servo - just finished reading through first 20. Everything is rediculously amazing about it. Even the sump blows my mind! ;-) I like the idea of the room w/ AC. that lighting rack is pretty rad too!

Man, I can't keep up with this thread!

Thanks for the kind words. The light rack is EASY!!!!! The thread discribes details about the assembly, but it is a piece of cake. I'll be replacing my reflectors and rebuilding the second rack.

So IMO, I really think that an external becket skimmer is the way to go. If you hook up a flow meter you will see that the other designs just can't keep up. You can get as good of output as any modified needle wheel. They take a lot of work to constantly adjust and clean.

Holy cow, 9" diameter body :D. If we did a recirc/venturi/meshwheel mod on that thing you could skim a 600G tank. I did these mods on my ASM G-3 and it is easily five times the skimmer it was from the factory.

You don't know of a mod to make it external do you? :oops: I'd love to have this big boy, but don't know where I could put it.

You don't know of a mod to make it external do you?
How about a 40 breeder for a new sump? Its only another $100 drop in the bucket. Then you could use your existing sump as a large fuge/frag tank. This project keeps growing, and growing, and growing............

40 breeder sounds like it'd be a good option (36x18x16) would house the beast of a footprint of the AE400 (16.3in. x 14.5in) - barely, but it would work. :) - Nice suggestion Duane. I wasn't even thinking this route of adding another tank. How could they be connected together? or would they? l

Idea: I could black out the side(s) of the tank that houses the skimmer which would allow me to run some lights under my existing sump and actually use it as a fuge without worrying about growing algea in the tank that houses the skimmer

Ed, I've got a 55 myself in my current display -- wouldn't mind reusing it actually as a sump, but he width is too short (48 x 13 x 18). I'll write Doug (coral seas) and see if his are any different size- good tip.

Back