Installing baffles in sump/refugium?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

winland

First time, still learning...

I am going to build a sump/refugium using a 29g glass tank.
Three sections.. input, refugium, output.

Question... What is the best way to hold the glass panels in place, vertical and square, while you silicone them in place?

Thanks, in advance, for divulging your trade secrets.

winland

I used masking tape as a guide & made a bead then set the pane in place & then ran a bead on the other side, sorta stuck itself to the silicone.

Thanks, I appreciate your response and the very handy tip regarding the masking tape.

winland

Scooty,

How did you you silicon in between baffles or panes of glass? I know I can setup the masking tape or painter's tape before sliding the glass in but how do you get the silicon in between the 2 glass panes.

Thanks...

I used the tape on both sides of the glass/acrylic sheets as a guide, about a 1/4 away from the surface.I then moved the glass away & siliconed the inside running a bead the length of the glass, then put the glass against the bead. I then was able to get the other side easily, working middle outward. I had a long stick that was curved to smear the silicone against the glass where I could work it with my fingers, really I should of done a neater job on mine, sorta came out messy but it can be done neater. I also use a permanent marker on the outside & located top & bottom of each pane & on both sides, this made a guide when siliconing. One last trick, the pieces that was off the bottom 1" I used a 1" piece of wood to rest the glass on while I siliconed & cured it in place.

Thanks for the info! Now, I just need to buckle down and get it done! My wife is constantly calling me a procrastinator when it comes to my tank. I need to quit reading and researching and just get to work! I have a spare bedroom full of supplies. I'm just missing a few plumbing parts and a couple of panes of glass for my sump and DIY overflow.

You Will need to do it in a well ventilated area, fans help & a good mask. If you go to your local glass shop, you can get them to cut your exact sizes cheap, or even acrylic, ask them about that.

Back