Interesting thread on RC (reducing photoperiod)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

don't forget the important part of this...... enjoying your tank. Hard to enjoy it if the lights are out.... just a side note

I agree OC, I wasnt too happy having to cut back to 7 hrs being i dont have t5 bulbs to supplement the mh! I run mines pretty much the same as dd911 2pm to 9pm! Trido i did the same, but i think i went about it the wrong way instead of adjusting an hour a week i just set the timer 3 hrs back, but everything seems to be doing gravy! BCT182 how about we start dosing pbr my favorite beer LoL!!!

I ended up just programming the acjr to kick the t-5's on at 12pm, halide on at 2pm and off at 9 pm, and t-5's off at 10 pm. Refuge light on from 10 pm to 12 pm the next day.

Nice dailydriven 911 I need to invest in a acjr! I was thinking of getting t5's to sup my mh! I've been looking online trying to find a decent price any suggestions? 24 inch fixture is more on what im leaning too!

Nice dailydriven 911 I need to invest in a acjr! I was thinking of getting t5's to sup my mh! I've been looking online trying to find a decent price any suggestions? 24 inch fixture is more on what im leaning too!

I like the new hamilton belize sun fixtures! I got my 24" outer orbit fixture from a local for half price. If your just looking for t-5's to supplement you can find those for pretty cheap.:)

I'll need to read that thread before I jump down my current photo-period. I definitely learned over the years that jumping into something without proof usually backfires ;)

I haven't had the opportunity to read the thread yet. But I have been cutting my photoperiod recently due mainly to temp. and I seem to have a happier tank. I look forward to reading the thread.

Been running my 175s for 9 hours. I have recently raised my photo period by opening the window shade by the tank. Everything looks happier for it. When in doubt, try to match mother nature

Been running my 175s for 9 hours. I have recently raised my photo period by opening the window shade by the tank. Everything looks happier for it. When in doubt, try to match mother nature

Yep I do the same. I have a large window that is near the tank. Get's a few hours of natural light during the day.:)

I like the idea of mimicking nature as closely as possible, but how do you translate natural photoperiods to tank-life?

You'd have to factor in clouds, cloudy days, less intense sun early in the morning/late afternoon, sun spots, eclipses... the list is endless. Our tanks typically are either full on direct or full off.

I currently turn a light on early morning to wake the fish up so they can eat before I go to work and then turn the full lights on early afternoon so the lights are on in the evening when I can enjoy it.

-Don

Great thread. It's what inspired me when I set up the timeing on my lights a few months ago. I have 2 250w halides that are staggard in their times and neither one is on more than 6 hours. The first one fires up for 2 hours and then the second one comes on. 4 hours later the first one shuts off and 4 hours after that the second one shuts down. I run the actinics from 8:30AM-9:30PM.

Back