Is a G3 Skimmer right for me?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jaredpilot

Alright, I'm a novice setting up a 160g aquarium. Starting to piece together some equipment and I'm looking for a nice but user friendly skimmer...I've heard a G3 is a good choice, found one on ebay that had some mods.

Is this a good, bad or great skimmer? Is it suitable for 160g with fish and maybe some soft corals?

Is the price I found right? The bid starts at $165

Thanks for your input! It's greatly appeciated!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270460233559&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

ASM G-3 proeien skimmer with the recirculating mod done .sedra 5000 used for about 3 years. routine pump maintance (vinegar baths every 2 months) still works great.has drain valve installed in collection pump . and 1 inch gate valve for easy adjustments!

Probably wouldn't be my first choice. SWC Extreme 200 would be a better fit and you can't beat $289 for a REALLY nice skimmer.

Yeah, and thats a new price too...this one is used with the 2 pump mod...I know I dont want to go cheap on this because I'm going to be gone for days at a time for work....I'm beginning to learn the importance of a great skimmer!

Absolutely! And I think next to lighting it's probably one of the biggest initial mistakes reefers make in not investing enough early so they don't have to upgrade later. I know I did :)

Absolutely! And I think next to lighting it's probably one of the biggest initial mistakes reefers make in not investing enough early so they don't have to upgrade later. I know I did :)

So do you thinks the SWC extreme 200 is right on par for what I should get or should I go bigger to be safe?

I'm going to be gone for days at a time for work.

Because of this reason only, I'd say the ASM G-3 is a good skimmer for you. I used to run one on my 120 SPS reef.

The SWC is a great skimmer and you cant go wrong. But, I'm not a big fan of the sicce pumps. IMO, if they have the mesh mod impellars they are almost guranteed to not restart and are almost a given for problems down the road.

The sedra 5000 that comes with the ASM is a rock solid pump and will always restart after a power outage or after tank maintanance.

So do you thinks the SWC extreme 200 is right on par for what I should get or should I go bigger to be safe?

IMO, you can never overskim a tank. If your finding that your water is too clean you can feed heavier, skim dryer, do fewer WC's. I rarely hear anyone ask if thier skimmer is too big. Once a year at most.

Because of this reason only, I'd say the ASM G-3 is a good skimmer for you. I used to run one on my 120 SPS reef.

The SWC is a great skimmer and you cant go wrong. But, I'm not a big fan of the sicce pumps. IMO, if they have the mesh mod impellars they are almost guranteed to not restart and are almost a given for problems down the road.

The sedra 5000 that comes with the ASM is a rock solid pump and will always restart after a power outage or after tank maintanance.

I can easily be gone for 5 days at a time, there will be someone there to do the basics but I share the same concerns about reliability and ease of use. I need a worry free system, but also a system that is big enough to keep up while I am gone...Think this is big enough still?

It depends on your bio load and if you plan to go bigger later. It's rated at 175 gallons with a heavy bioload, and all the way up to 350 with a light bio load.

Really Trido you like the Sedra over the Sicce? I've always preferred them the other way around. I've got a Sedra on my Euroreef, but I've never been happy with the air I pull even with a mesh mod.

I love the ASM skimmers! Stock ASM Skimmers are pretty much set them and forget them. I do not know about the modded ones with the valve.

The stock ones just have a pipe that slides up and down to set the water / bubble level and does not restrict the flow like the ball valve does, so nothing will get caught in the 1 1/4 tube. The valve to me would restrict the flow out and could cause build up or something to get caught and restrict the flow thus causing the skimmer to overflow the collection cup.

I had a MSX-160 (SWC-160) that when you lost power, water level went low when doing water changes, or you shut it off you would have to reset the "twisting" pipe that acted like a valve. It would take an hour or two to get the pipe back where you needed even with marking the pipe. I got tired of this and went back to ASM within 6 months. Also my ASM Mini-G skimmed better then the SWC 160, I got more skimmer juice out of it. The reason I changed from ASM Mini-G to MSX-160 was it was highly recommended on these forums. I remember last month when I went to Seattle for the weekend I came home to the skimmer overflowing through the cup because we had lost power at one point. Also fellow reefers would come over to see the tank and I would show the sump. The skimmer was overflowing all the time. It was a true pain in the butt for my taste. I like set it and forget it. With you being out of town I would not recommend the SWC series at all.

As far as the non-modded stock ASM Skimmers. ASM under rates their skimmers so you can pretty much add 50 gallons to whatever their rating is. When I asked they why they did this they told me, Most people buy a skimmer to match the size of their tank. If you buy one of our skimmers to match the size of your tank such as a G2 that is rated for 200 gallons once you add the sump you can easily get up to 250 gallons of water, and most people do not realize or take this in to account when setting up and purchasing equipment. It is always best to over skim then under skim a tank, WITHIN REASON.

As you will see the G-2 and G-3 are the exact same body they just use a different pump. Same with the G-4 and the G-4+ If you buy the ASM G-3 and you feel it is skimming too much you can just change the pump to match the G-2 specs. IMO (In My Opinion) You can buy a G-2 non-modded that will suit your needs very well. If in a few years down the road you need more skimming on the same tank you just change your pump. It will save you a lot of money in the long run. Also IMO I would never buy a modded ASM skimmer off ebay, been there did that, got screwed. Most are selling it because the skimmer is worn out, such as the fittings or the pump, or their mod did not work as planned, if at all.

The ASM Series Spec break down like this (non-modded of course)
G-2
Body Size: 6 ½”
Height: 25 - has a bigger collection cup is what I am told
Foot Print: 10”X11”
Pump: Sedra 3500
Tank Size: 200 Gal

G-3
Height: 24
Foot Print: 11”X12”
Pump: Sedra 5000
Tank Size: 250 Gal

G-4
Body Size: 8 ½”
Foot Print: 11.5”X16”
Tank Size: 350 Gal

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I love the ASM skimmers! Stock ASM Skimmers are pretty much set them and forget them. I do not know about the modded ones with the valve.

The stock ones just have a pipe that slides up and down to set the water / bubble level and does not restrict the flow like the ball valve does, so nothing will get caught in the 1 1/4 tube. The valve to me would restrict the flow out and could cause build up or something to get caught and restrict the flow thus causing the skimmer to overflow the collection cup.

I had a MSX-160 (SWC-160) that when you lost power, water level went low when doing water changes, or you shut it off you would have to reset the "twisting" pipe that acted like a valve. it would take an or two to get the pipe back where you needed even with marking the pipe. I got tired of this and went back to ASM within 6 months.

As far as the non-modded stock ASM Skimmers. ASM under rates their skimmers so you can pretty much add 50 gallons to whatever their rating is. When I asked they why they did this they told me, Most people buy a skimmer to match the size of their tank. If you buy one of our skimmers to match the size of your tank such as a G2 that is rated for 200 gallons once you add the sump you can easily get up to 250 gallons of water, and most people do not realize or take this in to account when setting up and purchasing equipment. It is always best to over skim then under skim a tank, WITHIN REASON.

As you will see the G-2 and G-3 are the exact same body they just use a different pump. Same with the G-4 and the G-4+ If you buy the ASM G-3 and you feel it is skimming too much you can just change the pump to match the G-2 specs. IMO (In My Opinion) You can buy a G-2 non-modded that will suit your needs very well. If in a few years down the road you need more skimming on the same tank you just change your pump. It will save you a lot of money in the long run. Also IMO I would never buy a modded ASM skimmer off ebay, been there did that, got screwed. Most are selling it because the skimmer is worn out, such as the fittings or the pump, or their mod did not work as planned, if at all.

The ASM Series Spec break down like this (non-modded of course)
G-2
Height: 25
Foot Print: 10”X11”
Pump: Sedra 3500
Tank Size (Gal): 200 Gal

G-3
Foot Print: 11”X12”
Tank Size (Gal): 250 Gal

G-4
Body Size: 8 ½”
Foot Print: 11.5”X16”
Tank Size (Gal): 350 Gal

Great advice! I'm so thankful to have found this group and website, if it was not for the guy I bought the tank from, I would be lost!!! :) All the input you guys are throwing at me, makes sense, maybe it would be best to buy new and therefore know it should be capable of working well and efficiently for some time to come!

It depends on your bio load and if you plan to go bigger later. It's rated at 175 gallons with a heavy bioload, and all the way up to 350 with a light bio load.

Really Trido you like the Sedra over the Sicce? I've always preferred them the other way around. I've got a Sedra on my Euroreef, but I've never been happy with the air I pull even with a mesh mod.

On my old ASM G-3. I had a mesh mod, venturi mod, recirc mod, and gate valve mod. The pump was rock solid and never failed me once. it skimmed my tank just fine and I had a healthy reef with a medium bioload
On my Bubble master 250 with dual sicce pumps. One impellar went bad within several months, both of the ceramic shafts wore thin for some unknown reason, only in my tank. No one has ever heard of such a thing. And I have to literally beat the pumps on the side of the sump to get them to restart most of the time.

Ya, I like the sedra 5000 better. The sedra 3500 is another story.

Probably wouldn't be my first choice. SWC Extreme 200 would be a better fit and you can't beat $289 for a REALLY nice skimmer.

G-3 is 289.00 on ebay also

sicce pump - 6 month warrantty
sedra pump - 1 year

Better warrantty and Better Tank Size Rating, if you call All Seas Marine (ASM) they say their rating is for Medium Bio Load Where SWC 200 is rated at Light Bio Load.

I think I would stick with the ASM.

BTW: A SWC 200 is rated at 230gal for medium

Last edited:
G-3 is 289.00 on ebay also

sicce pump - 6 month warrantty
sedra pump - 1 year

Better warrantty and Better Tank Size Rating, if you call All Seas Marine (ASM) they say their rating is for Medium Bio Load Where SWC 200 is rated at Light Bio Load.

I think I would stick with the ASM.

BTW: A SWC 200 is rated at 230gal for medium

I'm pretty sure the G3 is rated at 250G but I agree for $30 more its worth getting the G3 or G2, I think it would be a bit easier to manage for a novice like myself. Pretty sure I'll go that route!

Yes the G-3 is 250 Gallon rating but that is Medium Bio load, so add another 50 gallons for light bioload. In the earlier post I quoted ASM saying their skimmers are under rated. This is a prime example according to ASM.

Ya from what I hear, you cant go to wrong with an askoll pump hooked up to one of those skimmers.

Last edited:
I don't know if I'm right......:) but that would be my choice;). A little more money but the Askolls are kick ass pumps. If I was to buy a skimmer again. I would'nt buy a skimmer that don't utilize Askoll pumps. They also put out little to no heat too. I have the WM with Sedra 5000 and the CNC 300A. I can feel the heat that the Sedra puts out under water then feel the Askoll and it is no noticeable heat to the touch.

Sounds like a good setup! One slightly off subject question...Do I need a seperate heater to heat the water? 160 gallon display...

Sounds like a good setup! One slightly off subject question...Do I need a seperate heater to heat the water? 160 gallon display...

You will always need a heater to heat the water. Use it in conjuction with a Ranco controller. So that way if the heater get stuck in the on mode the Ranco will automattically shut it off once it reaches the set temp on the Ranco.

Back