Is anyone local cultering live rotifers?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trido

Fish Tank Freak
I am interested in cultering rotifers in the near future after having it explained in such detail by Randy Reed at our last meeting. I proposing that rather than a bunch of locals all spending near $50 each on starter kits that include some live rotifers and algea (rotifer food). It might be easier share the expense and order one starter kit accompanied with a few bottles of algea for a group of people. Then one person could culter a colony and seed everyone else after a few days when the colony takes off. This would save a group of four or five about $30+ dollars each to start out this way. Also, by having a network of "rotifer friends" you would have a back up starter if your colony crashed or you went on an extended vacation.

Duane,
I purchased all of the items within 2 hours after the meeting.
I should have it in the next day or two. I have the setup already.

We do eventually plan on doing it. We don't have anything in our tank right now to feed them to but we do plan on doing it once our tank has some stuff in it. If people do start doing this later on down the road I would love to buy some Roti's local from one of you :)

I like Duane's idea. I am ready to share the initial cost too.

Bob, please share your experience with us.

hey Duane,
I just started my last round of rotifer cysts, so with any luck I'll have some to share with you in a little bit. are you going to order up some rotifer diet? if so, let me know and I may go in on some with you.

Ben

hey Duane,
I just started my last round of rotifer cysts, so with any luck I'll have some to share with you in a little bit. are you going to order up some rotifer diet? if so, let me know and I may go in on some with you.

Ben

If you get a culter of rotifers growing and are willing to share some live ones. Ill buy you the rotifer diet.

LMK

so far, so good... they've hatched and they seem to be doing well. hope to have some ready for you by next weekend.

so far, so good... they've hatched and they seem to be doing well. hope to have some ready for you by next weekend.

Just wanted to check in an see how this project was going? I've cultured my own daphnia and cyclops for freshwater fry for a long time, and would like to do something similar for my coral now that I'm starting with salt.

Worth the trouble, or should I buy some stock in cyclops-eeze?

Just wanted to check in an see how this project was going? I've cultured my own daphnia and cyclops for freshwater fry for a long time, and would like to do something similar for my coral now that I'm starting with salt.

Worth the trouble, or should I buy some stock in cyclops-eeze?

I've done it once before and they seem easy enough to keep going as long as you have an extra couple minutes a day. I'm raising them to see if I can raise clownfish. fun project if you like to tinker.

I just picked up my starter culter from Ben. When I got home it took abojut five minutes to hook up my air pump, top off my bucket with salt water, adjust the air flow and dose some algea. We'll see how things go from here. I hope its as easy as that.

Updates! Updates!...........pics!...................tentatively interested in starting a culture myself.

Updates but no pics.
Ive been harvesting since last friday and am getting my culter more heavily populated by the day. So far, I cant tell a difference with anything in my tank. I may never be able to tell anything. I do however get the satifaction of feeling like Im adding something natural and potentialy beneficial to the tank. I havent dosed any type of phyto to the tank in near three years.

I started harvesting a few days after i posted, I can't see any changes either but time will tell :) If there is someone in Tacoma area who wants to start, I can help another with a starter pack. I bought a 3 gallon tank and placedd it on my countertop. I didn't want a bucket sitting around the house.

I'd like to get a start from someone.

Is anyone going to the meeting tomorrow that has some to share?

Vicki

so I know pics were requested, here is my roti setup. These are 2 of the aquamedic deals. Although these work just fine, it sounds like the 5 gallon bucket is the way to go for cost savings.

3056025615_584a7909cf.jpg

if anyone wants some, let me know.

Ben

out of the loop

if anyone wants some, let me know.

I'd be interested in a starter culture... I need to get a couple things together first (I am in the middle of a fish tank extreme home makeover).

I have not been too active with my tanks for the past year or so.

I may try my hand at baby clowns again.

For rotifers, I used to use 1 gallon glass apple juice/cider bottles with a hard airline and a slow bubble. I'd fill the water up to the base of the neck so the surface area was reduced... it kept the water from evaperating.

Back