is there a better skimmer for the $$$ than this for a 300g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

no get it now

couldnt you also go with the 250 for $60 less and it only say it does about 60 gallons less with a Heavy Bioload but probably going to be better if you just go with the 300 get it you wont regret it

i see that skimmy might be online he will aswer you question better than i did but it will be the same answer

the extreme 250 will probably be just fine...imo...that's what i have running on my system ~250g total water volume and stocked heavy
check out reeffiltration.com

is this for a 300 gallon system or a 300 gallon tank with a sump and a fuge

if its not a 300 gallon system go with the 300 just so you have the extra reinsurance

its a 300 tank i have not decided yet how to run my sump so total volume is yet to be determine, but i have a 100g now so will prob be 400 - 450 gallon total volume, i would much rather go over cause i like lots and lots of fish :)

so a 450 gallon system and you dont know the fuge size yet sooo i am thinking that you are gong to need something bigger than that

you are kimming the whole water volume so you are already over that 300 mark in the beging then once you start adding fish you never lm\now it might not be able to keep up

maybe try this or something like it much more spending but at least you dont have to pay $1k to get a bubbleking

450 would be everything max with the fudge im gonna use a 100 as the fudge/return and some live rock and a seperate tank to just house the skimmer wich would be just large enough for the skimmer, thats the only part im not sure about yet

probably not...
are there better skimmers?? to be sure..

but, if you use the meshwheels, you could get about 2600/2800lph
for about 60w or less...
@ $479 your not going to beat that amount of power.

what would be awesome is if you just saved up like $250 more and got the cone version:
http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=36
sorry for late reply... :(

Last edited:
so with the release of the new exteme 350 what would be the benefit of going with the cone that is rated to handle just about the same tank volume but is more money??

so with the release of the new exteme 350 what would be the benefit of going with the cone that is rated to handle just about the same tank volume but is more money??

i mean other then the space you save i have no clue what is better about the cone

The cone does it with less power, but honestly while the cone is nice its not that big of a deal. I ran two msx250's on a 1300 gallon system with a shark in the tank and had no nitrates and I wasnt a big water changer.

I currently run one of the MSX250's on a system with two 50g sumps, a 20g refugium and a 210g display and so far everything is great. I have not gotten this thing fully loaded yet but I know what its capable of.

Also, The 300 is slightly larger than the 250 but they have the same amount of pumps, and so Im not sure why you'd need larger capasity without injecting more air. The 350 has three pumps and thats awesome.

I'd say 250 if your thrifty. 350 or cone if you want to also show off and have a conversation piece.

go as big as you can afford :) the cone skimmers are said to pull more gunk than the traditional style but either style will do just fine.

so far i just have not been able to find a reason to justify spending the extra money for cone other than it has one less pump

well i tend to trust whisper. if he says its better than its gennerally better :)(as far as skimmers are conserned anyways) but either will do.

The cone's transition is much better than any cylinder skimmer. That makes all the difference when running one. They also have less back pressure on the pump with the less water inside the skimmer, that allows more air to be injected. So when comparing the 3 sicce cylinder to the two sicce cone i would say the cone will pull just as much or more than the 3 sicce cylinder.

okay but my question is dont they take that into consideration when doing the rateing, both are rated the same so your paying for 1 less pump and a smaller footprint. they should both perform equally. unless there is some unknown hidden advatage that i dont know of. moddablility? additional equipment ie ozone extra pumps?

Your paying for the mold of the cone in reality and a much better build quality in the cone. The extreme cylinder line's are all built well but the cone's are 1/4" cast acrylic and expensive to make. One sicce on a cone is nearly comparable to two sicce's on a cylinder. So they are better performers, smaller footprint, better build quality and more efficient.

Last edited:
Back