• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Is there a Tropic Marin Pro Reef Group Buy?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jan

I can't find the thread where people were talking about this, but if BR wants to sponsor a group buy for TMPR salt, I will go in on 2-3 buckets.

Lets start it here. I will call and get a quote on a pallet so everyone knows the price and qty that needs to be sold. We will do this as a pre-paid special order but we won't take any payments until we know we can sell a pallet. Being pre-paid I will shrink our margin as much as possible. Once I get the pricing info posted feel free to post how many buckets you would like.

Picky, picky!!! What's the problem with the Pro, Jonathan? Why does it not meet your requirements? I would think that the alk is the same level on both versions of the salt, just the Ca and Strontium might be higher in the Pro....

Oh, I see, the alk is higher in the regular TM:

Tropic Marin
Ca 375
Alk 10
Mg 1230

Tropic Marin Pro
Ca 450
Alk 8.5
Mg 1380

Jonathan, why do you keep your alk at 10? I've been doing the NSW level alk since I started so I forget what the rationale is for keeping alk at 10....I know I have good growth rate on my corals, and my ph is fine. I use a 50/50 blend of TMPR and Seachem Marine to help with the ph. The extra borate in the Seachem helps keep ph steady.

Cy, is there any way that your supplier would let you buy a pallet that's a 50/50 blend of the regular and Pro versions of TM salt?

Sorry, I have never asked for the Tropic Marin Pro, and those results posted above are not accurate IMO. The batch I tested was significantly lower IIRC in Ca and Alk. I try to maintain an alk of 9.0, which is where I see the best health/growth in my system. I keep Mg at 1400 - 1450 and Ca at 420. I like to use new water with a high alk because that is where my system needs a boost.

Sorry, I have never asked for the Tropic Marin Pro, and those results posted above are not accurate IMO. The batch I tested was significantly lower IIRC in Ca and Alk. I try to maintain an alk of 9.0, which is where I see the best health/growth in my system. I keep Mg at 1400 - 1450 and Ca at 420. I like to use new water with a high alk because that is where my system needs a boost.

Jonathan,

Here is a cut and paste of a post from 1/18 where you first asked for a quote. We then exchanged a bunch of PM's. It also came up later in the thread. Maybe somewhere along the line you switched to asking about regular but all of my posts and PM's following this post of yours referred to Pro and I was never corrected. Not trying to be a pain :) Just confused about where we got our wires crossed:confused:

From the New Product Lines Thread:

"What kind of price can you get on the TM Pro?"

Quote from Sherman: While kneeling down to check the selection of beer, he turns his head towards me and asks, "Do you have any NORMAL beer?"

Jonathan,

Here is a cut and paste of a post from 1/18 where you first asked for a quote. We then exchanged a bunch of PM's. It also came up later in the thread. Maybe somewhere along the line you switched to asking about regular but all of my posts and PM's following this post of yours referred to Pro and I was never corrected. Not trying to be a pain :) Just confused about where we got our wires crossed:confused:

From the New Product Lines Thread:

"What kind of price can you get on the TM Pro?"

My mistake. I don't think "we" got our wires crossed, but more like I didn't explain what I was doing. That may have been back when I was looking for some to test, but my memory does not serve me too well. At some point I did get some and tested it, and then got a nasty-gram from the US supplier because I commented publically about the levels.

No need to go into detail about our subsequent discussion, but in essence, TM makes the "Pro" for advanced reef keepers (typically running ZEO IMO) that don't want high numbers in their salt because they use Zeo and/or reactors. I understand where they are coming from, but since I do regular water changes as a partial source of Ca, alk, and Mg, I prefer salts that are higher. That's why I like the TM regular and OceanPure Pro.

Sorry that I am confusing you guys, and yes, I am a bit picky about salts. The difference between salts is startling IMO, and I am confused by that. I would think they would all be very similar since there are very few sources of raw materials around the World, but just the PO4 thing alone varies greatly, hence our discussion regarding the D-D salt. I really had high hopes for that one since I like them as a company.

IMO, the regular TM salt would be the best choice for the average reef keeper, or someone like myself running a high volume system. And again I remind you of the one caveat: salts change. The "word on the street" now is that many advanced reef keepers are blending salts to get the numbers they want.

Ok...got it:) I am personally a fan of 10-11dkh as well. I've heard some of the other "big names" keep it there as well. I see both sides though and I guess its good that both are catered to as far as salt mixes. I'll still get a quote for the TM Pro and post it here just in case a group buy can be organized. We are also still planning on bringing in the Tunze salt. Order placement has been delayed.

I know Sherman wanted the regular too. I don't expect 10 - 11 from a salt, but when I test and it's 6 - 7 I shy away. And that is quite common in many salts.

I am curious to see if the explanation regarding the PO4 in the D-D salt holds true, and that some batches will be at zero. And it would be interesting if you could get a mixed pallet of TM. That really may be possible depending on the distributor. AND, I would love to get my hands on the 300g bags. :D

Jonathan, for what it's worth, my usage of TM Pro shows results consistent with what I posted above when mixed at 1.026 sg. I expect that the regular would have Ca and Mg levels lower than that of the Pro (but alk, higher...). So to me it looks like a choice between bumping up the alk on the Pro, or bumping up the Mg and the Ca on the regular...pick your poison. Not that I'm trying to sway you from your decision...a mixed pallet would be ducky.

Last edited:
I would just love a salt that was
CA 420-450
ALK 9-11
MG 1300-1450
But no - one I know of does !!

Question for Jonathan ?
"Quote:

Tropic Marin
Ca 375
Alk 10
Mg 1230"

So the regular is LOWER in magnesium and CA as well compared to what you like "( I try to maintain an alk of 9.0, which is where I see the best health/growth in my system. I keep Mg at 1400 - 1450 and Ca at 420.)"....

so why do you prefer adding calcium and Magnesium ( More expensive to add ) to say the Pro version which is only low in alk ( and cheaper to add).

I hate adding anything to a salt But dont see any way around it !!

The Tropic Marine pro seems easier/cheaper to fix than the regular. Based on the little info I know !

Those are not the results I got on the TM regular. My tests showed it above 400 ppm Ca, around 1300 Mg, and 9 - 10 on alk. I cannot remember exactly and cannot find where I posted it. :(

When I use OceanPure Pro, I don't need to add anything. I asked Sherman if he remembered but no banana. I am sure it's posted in my RC thread, but finding it is probably impossible. We got the best results from these two salts, and we have tested a lot of them. Again, salts change, so any numbers posted are variable at best depending on the test kits used, batch etc.

The one thing we like about TM and OceanPure is that they both put batch numbers on their salt, which makes it easier to test some, and then buy in the batch.

I have a request in for an 18/18 split plus shipping from LA. We'll see what they come back with. Might be a couple days but I'll post as soon as I get word.

Got some numbers back. Remember...we would have to be pre-paid on roughly 25-30 of the buckets. They will let us split the pallet.

Tropic Marin Pro Bucket 200g: $83.99
Tropic Marin Bucket 200g: $72.99

Let us know if you want to commit to any.

artguy1_I would be "in" for 1 bucket of Tropic Marin 200g

I would be "in" for 1 bucket of Tropic Marin 200g

What are you guys looking at in terms of schedule?

artguy1

Got some numbers back. Remember...we would have to be pre-paid on roughly 25-30 of the buckets. They will let us split the pallet.

Tropic Marin Pro Bucket 200g: $83.99
Tropic Marin Bucket 200g: $72.99

Let us know if you want to commit to any.

Better news. Found a different supplier that can save a few more dollars per bucket.

New pricing:

Tropic Marin Bucket: $69.99

Tropic Marin Pro Bucket: $79.99

If anybody is intersted please let me know. Let your friends know. Etc. After about a week if we do not have enough interest I will just close this thread. I have exhausted all wholesale opportunities and this is the lowest price we can get. If there is a better price online they are taking a loss and you should buy it there while you can.

Back