• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Is there a Tropic Marin Pro Reef Group Buy?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I might be in for a bucket (possibly 2) I'll talk to my roommate.

so,
do we have to pickup in Kirkland?
during normal store hours? (this would be the hardest part for me)

I might be in for a bucket (possibly 2) I'll talk to my roommate.

so,
do we have to pickup in Kirkland?
during normal store hours? (this would be the hardest part for me)

Hi KrautBurner,

Our store is in Renton (Newcastle area) one block off 405. There is some talk behind the scenes of some folks in your area getting a few buckets and it could possibly be picked up by one of them. I will put you in touch with them if they confirm. If not, I'm not sure what to say. We are open weekends if that helps?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=7373
This is cheaper for pro and about the same for non-pro.
Shipping is based on price not weight.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/general.cfm?gid=315#3

This is where I've always bought my salt
Laura

Sigh... you gotta love forums:confused:

Our paid sponsors forum was not the place for this Fosters advertisement. We were offering this group buy as a favor to others who requested it and we are well aware that Fosters has our price beat. We, along with the largest wholesale distributor of Tropic Marin, have researched the Fosters pricing/shipping extensively. They are losing money everytime they sell a bucket. It is their way of trying to get you to buy other things from them. While great for you, this kind of business practice will eventually force every retailer and wholesaler to stop carrying Tropic Marin because nobody else is willing to take a loss trying to compete. The main people offering to buy salt from us in this group-buy, are fully aware they can save money through Fosters but they were trying to support what they believe is a good LFS and were willing to spend a little extra. Our posted price is well below any other LFS and online vendors and by offering this we would have helped many who were buying it elsewhere for more.

At this point I'm pretty frustrated with this whole thing. You try to help...and you get it thrown back in your face...in your own paid forum. On the plus side, I've learned a lot about Fosters and distribution in general. Sorry to all who were looking for a local option for salt but we will not be doing this group buy. Barrier Reef will continue to support wholesalers and manufacturers who operate with integrity & good ethics, support MAP pricing, and who also have the long-term succes of the hobby and industry in mind.

J & J.....we tried;)

Last edited:
Man this sucks, Why would someone post a foster smith price quote here. I think its worth paying a few dollars more to get my salt from someone local or at least one state away. DF prices with shipping really were not that much better compared to BR and BR is a good LF who was trying to help us all out. Ihauck, this was not a thread to find the cheapest price for salt but a thread to help us hobbyists get a group buy to lower the price of salt while supporting a LF.

Last edited:
I agree, that was pretty thoughtless of Ihauk to do. Obviously the people on the BarrierReef forum are here to support...um....Barrier Reef. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your willingness to try and make this work for us, Cy. Sorry it didn't work out.

Laura probably buys her milk at Wal-Mart too. :rolleyes:

But I don't think this negates the value of the group buy. Are we going to let one demented person ruin it for the rest?

Laura probably buys her milk at Wal-Mart too. :rolleyes:

But I don't think this negates the value of the group buy. Are we going to let one demented person ruin it for the rest?

Laura sent me an apology. She linked the thread from the main page and didn't know she was in a sponsors forum.

I feel like shutting down the idea, not only because of her post, but because we have only received commitments for 9 buckets. We are are not even close to where we need to be. I guess I'm open to whatever but at some point the time investment becomes too much. Especially considering what just happened.

Cy, no one will think less of you if you bail on the idea. Group orders are like herding cats, and never easy, but they do help with PR. Are my 6 included in the "9" buckets?

Another issue to contend with is the market being flooded with salts. It's hard to convince a hobbyist that a certain salt would be "better" for their system with so many available. And this flooding makes it hard to hold decent inventory of any one product, let alone do group buys.

Don't sweat it. It's hard enough to run a retail business without the extra headache.

From the way things appear both in your shop and in your postings Cy that you run an excellent store and foster such spirit for this hobby. I believe a majority of your current customers enjoy the interaction and quality that you bring to the "Marine" table.

Your shop and your installations really reflect how you run your gig, really respectable. I say this because I/we don't want you to leave this particular situation with a bitter taste in your mouth for the time invested to date on this group buy.

Thanks for all your efforts and look forward to continuing to do business with you in the future...All the Best man!

artguy1

Thanks guys. Yes, Jonathan your 6 were in the 9. 2 from Jan and 1 from artguy1. Kraut was a ?. I think its best if I cancel the idea...and no bitter feelings:) Some things work out and some don't.

Exciting news coming on the Tunze front though!

yuck...I never use anything that is called "buffer". Goes back to my FW days....oh wait, you were kidding right?

When are you two coming out to visit?

Back