Is this a good deal?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Markee

i am ready for a larger tank and i have to ask you guys if this is a good idea. i found a 75g tank on craigslist for $700 and i want to make sure it is worth this. this is the email that the guy sent me when i asked him a few questions.

i believe its a glass tank, not sure on the lights other than theyre built into the hood, and wired to a $300 light ballast, and also there 4ft, two are working and two are burnt out, so you would need two new bulbs off the bat. as for the equipment list ill list as much as i know about them.
theres two protien skimmers, ones really cool and the otheres kinda plain jain, theres a dbl bio wheel filter, two air pumps, two heaters, 4 lights but two are burnt out, two timers for the lights, really nice light ballast with duel switches, oak stand and hood, 4 peice glass on top to prevent lights getting wet, live sand, live rock, 4 fish...

previous email:
Ive personaly had this tank going for a year and a half, but when I got It it was running for two years prior, its got about 80-100# of live rock, atleast 75#of live sand, a 300$ light ballest thats only 6mo old, a hood with 4 built in lights, a stand with two doors, heaters, pumps, filters, bio wheels,

the four fish are True percula (about 2 1/2years o)
Yellow tang (about 2years o)
Strawberry basselett (about 1year o)
And a blue angle that he has had for 1 1/2 years now and he doesnt know exactly what kind it is.

do you think this is a good deal? any more questions i should ask him? thanks.

here are a few pictures of the tank
IMAG0056.jpg
IMAG0058.jpg
IMAG0064.jpg
IMAG0055.jpg

My first thought would no.

You should list exactly what the equipment is.

$300 for a ballast,,,,,,,, well I don't know of any ballast I'd pay $300 for.

The tank and stand appear to be in decent shape. However, unless this set up comes with the best lighting fixtures, in either 250MH or T5HO, AND the 1 skimmer is a really high quality skimmer, he's quite over priced, in my opinion.

You need to find out what brand and model the skimmers are.

You need to find out what type/wattage of lighting it has: Metal Halide, T5HO, VHO, Compact Fluorescent.

What brand lighting/ballast.

It looks like a decent amount of live rock, which is good. The fish selection will need some work though. You'll probably end up wanting to get rid of that Angelfish, as it's not at all appropriate, if you decide to get corals, in the future. It's also going to get WAY too large for a 75 gallon tank.

Honestly, I think you could probably get a much better deal.

Since you already have a relationship, with Barbie, at Aquarium Solutions, talk with her about this set up. See what kind of deal she can put together for you, for a similarly sized tank.

Thank you. I might be going to Barbie's store tomorrow. I will talk to her about it then. I'm also going to email him in a second to ask him brands and wattage. Anything else I should ask?

skimmer brands and model #

but like returnofsid mentioned, if you already know Barbie, then you can't go wrong.

I just emailed the guy and asked him for the brand. And I definitely will talk to Barbie about it first before I do anything. Thanks again!

my gut reaction is no..priced too high...for that money, should have a very decent skimmer and lights..IMO

Sounds maybe a little high, but maybe the buyer is aiming high and hoping to agree at a decent price. But what really matters if it's worth that much to you. We paid the same amount for our 75 gallon. Originally, I thought I'd try to go down on price.. but after seeing it, I simply fell in love and it was worth every penny. But ours also came with extra equipment including a 40 breeder and a NIB sump. And the fact that it was in town was a bonus - it's a bit of work to move an established system.

Our lighting was poor so we invested about another $250 for a decent light. Again - it's up to you. I must say that I DO like the oak.

Maybe there is a nice middle ground?

Received a similar set up off of craigslist with a 6 t5 ballast and stand for $250. Deal even included a beastly fluval canister filter rated for a much larger tank. Mine didn't include live rock though, and that isn't cheap if you like his/her rock.

First thought reading the email was the guy didn't know what the heck he had :lol: Not sure if it is glass??? :confused: A really cool skimmer?? Not sure on the lights, but are built into hood?? LOL!! Sounds kinda high at $700 IMO especially for stuff the guy has no idea what they are. I think it would be better to ask for pcitures of the equipment rather than let him tell you what they are because the next thing you know, you are thinking you are getting an Octopus skimmer when he actually has a seaclone skimmer :shock:.

I have to agree, people get attached to the idea they pay so much for equipment use it a while and expect to get it all back but in this hobby that is far from the truth.

Markee,

You are getting some great advice from reefers that have been in your situation.

However, WABlonde brings up a great point that was overlooked (by me) :)

You will get all type of opinions from this site, but ultimately it is YOUR opinion that matters. IF you feel a warm vibe about this tank, then buy it.

Markee,

You are getting some great advice from reefers that have been in your situation.

However, WABlonde brings up a great point that was overlooked (by me) :)

You will get all type of opinions from this site, but ultimately it is YOUR opinion that matters. IF you feel a warm vibe about this tank, then buy it.

Sounds like Kirk is the one who placed the ad :gossip: :lol:

I agree! Do what makes you happy. :) Most of the feedback you will see here is more on the basis of trying to ensure you are not buying junk that you will have to turn around and re-purchase a second time around. The guy could quite possibly have a kick butt skimmer and really nice lighting, but he just needs to be a bit more specific and nothing is more specific than a few pictures. :)

Kris,

Funny. No didn't place the ad, but it was a good reminder by WABlonde that I was focusing too hard on the tank and price and like you said making sure Markee was getting a good deal. :)

Although, I will be putting something up for sale later this afternoon..:dance:

I noticed the water level in the tank as being low. It doesnt look like a reef ready tank to me. I cant see an overflow box anywhere. Ive seen much larger tanks for sale for less in the last year.

agreed with everyone that is way to much for a 75g. i sent you a pm about my 120 that is going to be up for sale when i get my new tank!!!.

thanks for all the advice everyone. i got an email from him this morning and it said:

so i just went down and looked at the lighting system and it will work perfect for a reef tank. this system is made for it. youll have to by new bulbs cause the bulbs in there now are only 40w but its a vho light ballest.... so very high output, witch means if you get the vho bulbs youll be able to have any corals you want. and one of the skimmers is a red sea, the other i couldnt see with out taking it off my tank

does this sound a little cheesy to you? "it will work perfect for a reef tank. the system is made for it".....

Back