Is this a good deal?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I would suggest you keep your eyes on Craigslist. They come up all the time. Or possibly look into the 120? that was mentioned earlier in this thread. 75 seems big until you have one.. then you just want more. :)

youll have to by new bulbs cause the bulbs in there now are only 40w but its a vho light ballest.... so very high output,

NO T-12 bulbs are wired with only one wire in each end and VHO's run a wire to each prong. So this guy is either running NO bulbs wired into a VHO set up or has wired a VHO ballast into a NO system. I wouldnt trust buying a set up like this. That along with a Red Sea skimmer, and AFAICanSee, no overflow this system isnt the way I would recommend anyone to start off setting up a reef tank.

Definately not worth anything over $300 in my book.

Definately not worth the price he is asking. Like Trido and others have mentioned, the equipment seems to be sub par and the water level in the photo would indicate a non reef ready tank.

If you do some searching I'm sure you'll find something better. It is ultimately up to you to make the final decision.

i went to barbies store today and she gave me the number of a ladie named stacy (you may know her spokane people :) ) who is selling her 75g tank. it is tank, sump, skimmer, halide lights, and stand, and whatever else. i cant remember brands or anything, if she told me them. but she said it was a really nice set up and i know barbie wouldnt offer anything that i would regret purchasing. stacy is asking $550 and that is a way more comfortable price for us. any thoughts?

Markee,

Without seeing pics of stacy's tank, cant comment. But it does sound like a better deal for YOU. the key is how good is the skimmer as IMO this is the single most important piece of equipment for your tank..can make the hobby enjoyable/not enjoyable for you depending on how good/bad the skimmer is.

I would be leery dealing with this guy who is asking $750

thank you. i will give her a call tomorrow about it, ask some questions, and maybe even go see it. ill update specific details after i call her.

again thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it.

-markee

i talked to stacy today and here are the details:
it is a 75g, glass tank with a 30g sump. ths skimmer brand is asm g1x. the lights are outer orbit 150w halides with two actinics with moonlights. she said it comes with pumps, return pumps, koralia powerheads, lights, sump, tank, and a phosphate retractor. shes asking $650.

What do you guys think?

heres the email from her cause i think i messed up some names, pictures in a sec.

75 gallon glass Corner Flo
Magnetic Drive 5.5 Utility Pump
2 Hydor Koralia 3 circulation pumps
Outer Orbit HQI fixture-Two brand new bulbs unused too!
ASG G1-x protein Skimmer
Cherry Maple Stand 30 Gallon refugium
150 Phosban reactor

these are from when it was up and running. she also told me she would include sand and some liverock. the tank is empty now.
P1030723.jpg
stacy2.jpg
stacy.jpg

ahhhh....yes...stacy's tank is a much better deal...ASM skimmer's are good..sounds like stacy is good people and easy to work with..which is a plus..

Well, that skimmer, typically sells for around $200.00 or more, used.

The light fixture would easily sell for $350.00 used, and that isn't even considering the brand new bulbs that are in it.

So, just with those 2 items, you're at $550.00. You couldn't buy that stand/tank/plumbing/pumps, other misc, for $100.00.

That light fixture, originally sold, for around $600.00.

I'd say it's a screaming deal, actually.

Back