Is this a good deal?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I am on the east coast so I 'm not sure about west coast pricing, but that is about double what I could get it here for. I am just starting to warm up the water in a 125gallon I just bought over the weekend for $300.00. It came with two professional eheim filters and 4 36inch lights stand and several other items. I think if you keep looking you cab do better even off craigslist

clownman,

it might be West coast pricing, as homes here are double the price too :)

clownman, it also has a lot to do with equipment. For instance, your Eheim Canister filters are exceptional products, and very expensive. However, for a reef tank, they aren't really optimal and I'd actually advise against using them. They're awesome for a freshwater tank, or a marine, fish only system. However, they'll produce copious amounts of nitrates, which plays havoc on a reef tank.

With your lighting, you have 4X36" bulbs, so I assume they're either VHO, PC or T5HO, or maybe even NO fluorescent (Normal Output). Again, in a tank your size, this lighting isn't near enough for a full reef tank. Did your tank come with a skimmer?

In Markee's case, the set up that she's looking for is more than adequate, for a full blown reef set up, and would allow her to grow anything she wants. The lighting is a quality fixture, with nearly new Metal Halide bulbs. The skimmer, while not THE BEST money can buy, is a very adequate skimmer, for that particular tank. The tank is drilled, with a built in overflow and includes a sump and all necessary plumbing and pumps.

Gotta make sure we're comparing apples to apples.

Markee,

Just remember, time is your friend in the saltwater hobby, be patient...

Prolly the best piece of advice I can pass on to you

I only ask because I am always on the hunt for tanks and one tank had that skimmer. Just wanted to know if it was a good one. Thanks everybody!

Back