Is this an Elegeance Coral?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

baseballkid5

I was told this was an Elegance Coral from Australia But am not sure anyone Know? Looks to have 3 mouths if so what do you feed them and how often?I put him on the Bottom of the tank where there is good flow if that helps any.
Thanks For any input

Definitely an Elegance. Very nice!! Not sure on how to care for it though, other than in the past 10 years or so, the success of keeping these has gone WAY down and no one really knows why. It would seem these used to be very easy to care for, but for some reason, that all changed. It's said that getting ones from other people's tanks, who've had them for many years, gives you a better chance of success.

Yeah I bought one that looked healthy about two months ago but it isn't looking good now and it is the only thing in the tank that isn't really doing well. Good luck they are a great looking coral.

I bought it Yesterday for $60 I didnt now exactly what it was but ive only seen them ay Barrier. I know they usually sell for more than that. So i figured id take a chance.Its Opened right up and It seems like its Happy But well see how it goes in the coming Days.

I kept one for a little over 4 years before an unfortunate tank accident wipeout it and a few other corals. Mine did well in med flow and med light. I target feed it mashed silversides soaked in selcon. Make sure the pieces are crushed well. If they are to big it will spit them out. I also found mine did better on the substrate lying on it's side rather than on the rocks or wedged somewhere with it's skeleton verticle.

Day 1
1STNewcorals003.jpg

Couple of the last shots before the accident
DSCN2437.jpg

DSCN1847edited.jpg

I notice they are hard to keep in my experience! One of the things is they dont like is if water parameters changing in any sort of way. I kept 2 in my care for a year and moved them around to my other tank, and come to find out they melted away! Good luck baseball kid i would definatly keep your waters where there at know, seeing in the photo its thriving!

I would love to keep one of these corals, they are one of the most stunning LPS out there, IMO. Too bad the survival rates are through the floor. I was kind of shocked as the local Petco of all places had two elegance corals in this week. I can only imagine how long those will survive . . .

these are sorta on the scale of keeping flowerpot coral (gonipora)....I was only to keep flowerpot for 1yr then all of a sudden, it died.

Elegance has been on the no buy list for about three years. It appears that a type of bacteria was infecting them after gathering and while in holding areas to be shipped. They only last about a month, but if shipped soon, look healthy at the LFS. Then the tentacles shrink and the body swells and they soon perish. It also was believed that if you have an infected one it will taint your system and even if you replace it with a healthy one, it will also get sick and die. This is along my lines as I had one for almost four years. I added another and it died. About two months later my long term one became sick and died. So if your LFS is getting a supply and even gets a healthy one, placing it into a system that had diseased ones will bring on its demise. If you were able to get one that was kept in an isolated tank for a few months and was still healthy I might chance buying that one. Although if you had a sick one in your tank even months ago, I would avoid it as it might still get diseased.

Along the other lines, except for this disease, they are hardy fairly easy to care for corals. And yes...extremely beautiful.

Back