Is this enough water circulation?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

baseballkid5

I have a 75 gallon fish only as of now by next week will have softies and fish.
Im currently running a mag 7 return with 3 feet from sump to return, Have a tunze 9010 skimmer in sump and 2 hydor koralia 4s to be put in this week as well. Is this enought water turnaround. Or should i upgrade pump/ And if so which would be the best bang for the buck.
Thanks

2 more things i have a phosban reactor with a mini pump. And also the mag7 is a little noisy just kind rough sounding cleaned it thouroughly the other day but wouldnt mind if it was a lot more quiet.Suggestions?

for softies you really only need about 10X but more is always good, main thing is you want to keep the dead spots in your tank to a min.

I have a 75 gallon fish only as of now by next week will have softies and fish.
Im currently running a mag 7 return with 3 feet from sump to return, Have a tunze 9010 skimmer in sump and 2 hydor koralia 4s to be put in this week as well. Is this enought water turnaround. Or should i upgrade pump/ And if so which would be the best bang for the buck.
Thanks

It sounds like more than enough to me for softies... doing the math you have 3100 gph with all the pumps, divide that by your 75 gal tank which is equals roughly 41 times an hour your water is turned over. Running your system at this configuration might be a bit stressful for your softies, but try it out and see what it look like and scale back if need be. If you plan on moving to sps then I'd recommend keeping this current set up.

If this were my tank, and I was sticking with softies, I would get a larger return pump... something in the 1200 gph range, add a spraybar, and run two korilia 3's in the display. Let me know what you end up with.

You have plenty of flow. You're flow would be more than adequate for SPS...and too much for clams...unless able to find a low flow, high light area for them. As mentioned above...it's more important to have quality of flow than quantity. The 2 K4s will help with that. Make sure you're getting a nice, turbulent pattern...errr....non pattern actually. Lots of randomness.

Its not about quantity its quality. There are many of us that have run 100 plus times turn over and those that only run 30 both with softies, clams and sps. You need to look at your own system to make that determination. Look for dead spots and excess flow areas and try to find a middle ground. Your flow needs will change from time to time based on addittions. Its really best to try and learn what your tank needs or doesnt need without trusting inaccurate rules of thumb.

Don

Appreciate the advice. Im trying to get a seperate tank set up for quarantine of the fish but with a few bigger fish you need to have the Bigger quarantine, Money for the bigger quarantine. and it would work great if it all came together like that.Unfortuantely its not that easy.

Baeballkid....I understand the problem with cost and finances when it comes to setting up a large QT tank. Not easy to do. That's why several people recommended you do a hyposalinity treatment in your existing tank before going any further. It would save you a lot of hassle down the road. Once you've turned it into a reef tank, you won't be able to do a treatment like this. Might I ask why you're so set against doing hypo in it and having it done and over with? You'd be cured of the Ich and would be able to go from there, worry free.

Just an update. I have started to do the hypo in the tank and it was at .o23 now im at .017 im doing it slowly to not stress out the fish as much. I will do another 15 gallons today and see where it ends up. Im planning on doing softies in the tank.
And i have updated some of the equipment i have an eheim 1262 with 2 koralia 4s in opposite ends of the tank. I have a Phosban reactor running carbon in the sump and a tunze 9010 skimmer. Am i overdoing the flow? Just wanted to have some ideas on that.
Thanks

Check the POST DATES! If you read what i posted above What does it say im doing!This is a Hobby!So Fortunately instead of UNFORTUNATELY ive decided to do the Hypo.But thanks for the Criticism.Everyone has there own opinions.But thanks for yours.

Well the updated post which you are looking at now that was typed TODAY 10/25/08 says i have started the HYPO. I have many opinions from LFS and Members as to how long. But like the above Post states what i have started.

Back