Is this skimmer any good?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I would look into swc (salt water connection) for some great skimmers. Those skimmers are in sump only. If you don't have a sump and were looking for a hang on for around 150 i would recommend the eshopps 100H.

skimmers are like women some are good some are bad...... sorry ladies all women into reefs are good women! but what you want to know is the people that are doing these reviews have you seen there tanks? or skim mate they collect. A skimmer IMO is like lighting something you don't want to skimp on get whats affordable but yet good quality SWC the GSM vertex all good skimmers with high high reviews thats were the women part comes in then it is taste what do you like from there. I personally never heard of that brand of skimmer and looks like a RIO pump which IMO again are junk.(sorry if there is a rio sponser)

I'd skip it. Never heard of it and it just looks super dodgy. Hit up the used forums and find a good used one. You have some good recommendations from the other users and you'll get another as soon as Skimmy sees this and replies.

I've run that skimmer. It is not good. It is venturi driven which means the bubbles are big and it uses a lot of electricity. I would go with a needlewheel, pinwheel, meshwheel style the swc are good skimmers for the money.
-chris

You are right, I did a lil more reaserch on reviews that weren't related with the sale sight and it was a piece of crap. Thanks. Now is octopus a decent mid-range model I'm looking at an octopus 120 for my 55 ?

IMO, skimmers are the lifeline of your tank and should not go cheap..buy the best skimmer u can within the budget you have.

I have the Bubble magus and it is rediculous how much it skims for the price. Ive had a few more expensive skimmers but this one blows them away. It needs to be in a stable place where the water level doesnt fluctuate more than 1-2 inches.
I would highly reccomend.

I also have a Coralife. Seems to work pretty well. Just make sure that you install an elbow for the output otherwise, the water stream gets pretty noisy.

Back