Its Started!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Therapy1

Ok. I usually don't post trivialities but the forum has been so quiet I thought I would give a status.

I am so excited!! After a 16(?) year absence, I got my RO/DI sys in today. Salt tomorrow. I am committed now to begin this build.
I know enough that this takes time and don't expect a tank running until late summer. So....here is the plan. (I will document everything)

225 custom tank from Mojo ( if he ever gets back to me) 72x30 wide x 26 high. (gallons are off a little)

DIY beckett skimmer. I have one from b4 but will be doing major mods as it wasn't up to par. I've learned a few things since then.

DIY sump. Prob about 50 gallons. Prob more.

DIY LED lighting. Thx to Cesar's advice.

DIY stand. Woodworker is another hobby. Thinking maybe Walnut.

Yet to research Calc reactor, but in the plans.

Bima LR 200# or Manado.

Starting a 55 Q tank that will get a start on LR within the month for curing. Turboflotor Skimmer for that tank. Old but say what you will, few mods and it kicks butt for this size.

Cellar sump and putting in a new electric supply for this tank with a kill switch at main floor for this. New floor bracing and Tile floor under/around tank. Been in this rodeo b4.

All DIY projects will be documented. Maybe not the best to you, but only the best for me. Not skimping on the best except the DIY.

Wish me luck. I am sooooo excited. Feet wet, diving back in.

Everybody gets excited about new equipment.

never heard of Bima LR 200# or Manado.

72 x 30 x 26 = 56160, divided by 231 = 243.1 gallons.

Good luck

Make sure you post up the woodworking progress as well! Fellow woodworker here.

It's pretty exciting getting wet again after a long absence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, my new RO is up and running. Come to find out my well water has only 6ppm after my home DI system, but running anyway for a big fat happy zero! :) I have my Q tank set up (empty) and the new return pump is on the way. Just a simple 55 with CPR overflow and a Turboflotor 1000 skimmer. These skimmers are very effective for a tank this size, especially after minor mods.

All stocked up on all the Salifert test kits I would ever need.

New Refract on way from BRS.

Now wiring 2 new 20 amp breakers for electrical for Q tank and the final show tank.

Next comes some LR (admit for fun, kinda early) to test Q tank and some tile flooring and bracing where show tank will go.

Thats it for my update for now.

Tom

Working on re-configuring my DIY Beckett Skimmer. Needs a longer reaction tube along with the down tube and putting in a bubble plate/tube.

Skimmer1 small.jpg

Forgot how to insert the image. Think I had to upload it to a different web site. But don't have one.

Attachments

• Skimmer1.jpg
    Skimmer1.jpg
    26.6 KB
Update. My 55 Q tank is done. Have 50 lbs live rock which just finished cycling. Sump for it running well as is the skimmer.

My RO and salt water mixing tank is also done. Running well.

Now I am working on reinforcing the floor and putting down tile where the display tank will be.
Also doing work on my refurbished Beckett skimmer. (had changes to make) Going well.

I decided against going with a Euro style talk from MOJO. As much as I respect him. I didn't want the top internal bracing. Going with Custom aquariums.
Unless someone has input on that.

Acrylic I'd go Euro, I like to sleep at night knowing it is solid up top, no center brace though. You can make it thinner than the norm if you want the extra space.

Going with a glass tank with front panel thats low iron. I didn't want the Euro bracing as it covers up the Synergy overflow making it impossible to clean once set up. Custom Aquariums makes an aluminum (anodized) framed tank.

Talked with Mike just a few minutes ago. Working up a whole new overflow design. Crunching numbers now as far as tank stresses and such. I hope my new idea works. So excited. Will update with the thought if it proves feasible.

Talked with Mike just a few minutes ago. Working up a whole new overflow design. Crunching numbers now as far as tank stresses and such. I hope my new idea works. So excited. Will update with the thought if it proves feasible.

Just curious how much it costs to ship that tank from Washington State to NY?

Surprisingly, not too bad. About 300 bucks if I pick it up at the terminal. 400 for home delivery. About 100 more than what available from others closer. Worth it for having Mike work with me on the design.

Still waiting for Mike to check feasibility on overflow design.

Surprisingly, not too bad. About 300 bucks if I pick it up at the terminal. 400 for home delivery. About 100 more than what available from others closer. Worth it for having Mike work with me on the design.

Still waiting for Mike to check feasibility on overflow design.

Thank you.
I m looking to get the tank exactly the one you are talking about. 72x30x26. I like rimless but Mike told me he could not do it. After you finalized it, can you show us the picture or at least a sketch of your tank?
zip70

Zip, have no doubt that all progress will be posted.

Currently just my Q tank set up with Live Rock cycling. (done) and prepping house for intro for the new tank. I assume nobody wants to see a lame Q tank so the rest will be fully documented.

Really excited for the revised overflow system if its feasible.

Back