J-Ranko's 15 Gallon Rimless Nano

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

New FTS (taken today 3/29/11):

FTS17p.jpg

Very nice and clean looking! Wish i would keep up on my tank like you do yours.

Your tank is amazing dude. Props.

Very nice and clean looking! Wish i would keep up on my tank like you do yours.

Thanks, guys. Unfortunately I have some really bad news.

Over the last few weeks I noticed my blue tort and my ice tort stopped growing and bleached, then noticed weird marks on their body. I thought it was the light so I lowered the ice tort and waited it out. They did not improved, and then I noticed STN on my blue tort a couple of days ago. Took it out to examine it today and discovered lots of eggs on the other side where the underlying skeleton is bare (no tissue):

aefweggs.jpg

Yup. Acro eating flatworms. The sorta good news is that it seems only my torts are affected so far. My other acros have been doing great with good growth, polyp extension and color. No STN or bite marks either. Hopefully these pests will be easily eradicated. :angry:

Not all is bad news for my acroporas. Here's a group shot of the ones that appear to be unaffected (taken 3/31/11):

acroalleyc.jpg

These are larger crops of that same shot:

acroalleyc1.jpg

acroalleyc3.jpg

They're all exhibiting good growth and polyp extension. And no bite marks, eggs, or STN.

I've treated my torts to the dip already and hopefully the flatworms won't catch on to the others. Maybe I'm just being foolish, but I'm very hesitant to dip them all, especially the ones that are already encrusted on my rocks.

Last edited:
I've been looking in from time to time on your nano-reef thread, nice to see some of the amazing nano's from that site are local. Keep up the good work.

That's a really nice looking coral! That would be sick to see something like that out in the wild!!

Thanks, krish. I think they're mostly nocturnal in the wild so you'll have to go night diving to see them in the reefs. Though I've read some divers have actually seen them out in directly sunlight!

I've been looking in from time to time on your nano-reef thread, nice to see some of the amazing nano's from that site are local. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, 10gnano. I tend to post more at nano-reef, but only because it takes a bit more activity to keep up with all the members' threads over there. :lol:

Sorry about the lack of updates. My tank has been experiencing some difficulties. My pike blenny died swiftly and mysteriously two weeks ago (evening of April 8). Then three days ago my clownfish got what is most likely brooklynella. My royal gramma, which has been scratching its gills on the sand ever since the pike blenny was introduced, also looks like it got the same disease from the spots I see on its head and gills.

All my fish are currently in a quarantine tank undergoing medication. The timing of the break-out suggests the parasite was introduced with the blenny. I should have known better, given that I've had similar problems years ago, but I took a stupid risk and lost. Medicated dips and quarantine tanks are a major hassle, but dealing with sick fish once they're in the display tank is an even bigger pain!

My corals and inverts are doing just fine and remain unaffected. Sometimes it feels like fish are harder to take care of than corals. :frusty:

Bummer... that blenny was pretty sweet! Hope things settle down for ya tank looks amazing!

Thanks, dailydriven. The blenny was my favorite fish. It seems I have the worst luck with fish for some reason. When I started my first reef tank years ago I had an outbreak of ich kill all my fish. I took a break from the hobby for a few years, came back and did a nano. Stupid me I decided--despite knowing better this time--not to quarantine new fish. I was OK for a while until I added my latest fish, and now they're all sick.

They're still alive in the QT, but it'll be a while before I know they'll survive long term.

questions

hey j, you have an amazing tank!!! and i have a couple of questions for you. i am very new to this:help: so try to explain as easiest as possible. i am going to be getting a 29 gallon aquapod:D here in the next week or two. ill also be recieving a 175 watt metal halide lamp. i want to do a reef with corals and fish. what do you suggest i do, buy, invest in? anything will be helpful thank you.

I'm in the process of breaking down this tank as I am moving in only a couple of weeks. I've already posted some stuff in the classifieds. Too bad I couldn't keep it going for longer, but I'll have another tank eventually.

Back