J-Ranko's 15 Gallon Rimless Nano

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I think you're thinking of the Queen Conchs.. They're the ones that get like 10-12"... Fighting conchs max out around 4", although i've never even seen one that big... And they grow pretty slowly so I think you'd get alot of use out of a little 1" one for quite a while..

Hmm...in that case I think I might try one. Thanks!

So I finally got it to open up fully in daylight---the trick is frozen cyclops-eeze!

suncoral7.jpg

Haven't had a chance to post close-up shots of my other corals lately, but here's one:

redacan.jpg

The shot above shows it in an unusual position. I normally have it higher up on the rock. But apparently my turbo snail knocked it down again and I thought it was in a rather photogenic position.

Nice tank!!!

Thanks!

I haven't posted an FTS in a while, so here's one I took yesterday:

FTS_013111.jpg

The day before, I changed the scape on the right side of the tank and moved around a bunch of corals, so some of them (including the Duncan) were still closed up. I also fragged some of my larger sps colonies.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the new coral placement so I might move some of them around.

Here's the latest addition to my clean-up crew:

conch.jpg

A small fighting conch that I just introduced today. You can see it's tentatively taking a peak at its new surroundings.

Nice conch!! Conch's are a BIG thing here in the Bahamas!! I don't eat them, but it is one of the preferred seafoods here. Very close running next to fish. They are supposed to be an afrodesiac (sp) which is probably the reason we have so many kids running around the place, but don't go getting any ideas :lol:. It's amazing how the different species have completely different eyes. Here is a close-up I took of a queen conch a few years ago. Check out these eye!! :eek:. And oh btw, your new rockwork looks great!! :)

105qukk.jpg

Nice conch!! Conch's are a BIG thing here in the Bahamas!! I don't eat them, but it is one of the preferred seafoods here. Very close running next to fish. They are supposed to be an afrodesiac (sp) which is probably the reason we have so many kids running around the place, but don't go getting any ideas :lol:. It's amazing how the different species have completely different eyes. Here is a close-up I took of a queen conch a few years ago. Check out these eye!! :eek:. And oh btw, your new rockwork looks great!! :)

105qukk.jpg

Thanks, Krish! What is that green slimy thing in between its eyes!?

Oh nice! I have a frag of the same thing. I can give you some history on it. It was actually hand picked in hawaii by a fellow Rf-er, and shipped over here to the mainland. :)

Oh nice! I have a frag of the same thing. I can give you some history on it. It was actually hand picked in hawaii by a fellow Rf-er, and shipped over here to the mainland. :)

Neat! Do you mean that it was personally collected by said Rf-er?

I've been working on a new sump over the last few days. So yesterday I finally got a chance to change out my old 5.5 gallon sump for a bigger 10 gallon one. It has a much larger space for a skimmer (13.5in x 10in footprint), but for now I'll set up that extra space as a temporary frag tank.

Here it is empty and inside the stand:
emptysump.jpg

Now filled with water and everything but the skimmer and the phosban reactor:
newsumpfilled.jpg

I wanted to get an even bigger sump, but as you can see the 10 gallon is pretty much the biggest the stand can accommodate. But the new skimmer section footprint should be more than enough for what I have in mind, e.g. SWC 120/160 or BM NAC6.

And now that I've got my frags in the sump, my display tank is no longer cluttered. So here's an FTS (taken this morning):

FTS_020811.jpg

indeed it was! straight from a tide pool, i think is what she said.

awesome display tank. did you buy your sps as mini colonies or did you grow them out from frags?

indeed it was! straight from a tide pool, i think is what she said.

awesome display tank. did you buy your sps as mini colonies or did you grow them out from frags?

Thanks! Except for the Acropora tenuis, I bought all my sps as small frags.

Here are some close-up shots I took today of some of my favorite sps pieces:

Acropora tenuis
acroporatenuis2.jpg

The white area is the branch where I cut off a large 2" frag that I mounted elsewhere in the tank. This acro showed the biggest change of colors in my tank. When I first bought it it was deep purple blue. Then I brought it home and placed it too low and it turn brown. So after I upgraded to my rimless tank I put it way up near the top and it turned very light blue with green polyps. I have since lowered it and it now has a really nice medium blue tips with green polyps. I believe this mini colony was maricultered, which helps to account for the large color shift.

Green Birdsnest
greenbn.jpg

This is probably my fastest growing coral. I bought as a 1.5" frag and now it's bigger than my fist. It's kept its gorgeous neon green polyps.

Blue Oregon Tort
blueoregontort1.jpg

I bought this Oregon tort recently and it is such a slow grower. The colors have changed too. When I first got it, it was mostly light brown with blue tips. I initially placed it way too close to the light and it bleached. I lowered it a little, and now it's whole body (the surface that's illuminated) has turned a nice sky blue. The blue is getting darker by the week and it should be a richer color eventually.

Some of the biggest improvements I've seen came when I increased my feeding, especially with oyster feast and cyclop-eeze.

Back