Jiddy's 220g MASTERPIECE!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

1.024 is right where it should be. Try to keep it somewhere between 1.022 and 1.025.

81 is a little warm, maybe using some fans over the water will help cool it down. Check your temps with a good digital thermometer to get an accurate reading. You can pick one up at Radio Shack if your LFS doesn't carry them.

As for testing; go ahead and start testing in a few days, for ammonia at the very least. If ammonia stays at zero (which it might with 100lbs. of cured rock), then there's a good chance nitrites will read zero as well. Nitrates may start to climb in the next couple of weeks if the rock isn't fully cycled (if they used a biological filter like a wet/dry it won't be cycled for nitrates).

We talked earlier about a possible algae outbreak. Don't let one concern you too much at this point. When you're cycling a tank they might look like crap, but they're actually quite useful. Some types like cyno will produce oxygen, which helps water quality; and all of them will consume phosphates, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Throw some snails in once it really starts growing to control it. Also, I don't know what kind of freshwater you're using, but using an RO/DI system can help a great deal in preventing algae growth.

Keep us posted,
Clayton

Jidsterz, yes, you are in trouble. Now I must come over there and whip you. :eek: My bad, I didn't realize you were just using the overflow that came with the tank. Did you get the overflow working yet? Shoot me a pic of the overflow so I can see if it is a CPR. I tend to think it probably isn't. Glad to see you got everything set up this weekend. I bet you are feeling pretty stoked about now. Everything is looking good and I like your CL manifolds.

I do have a couple suggestions that you are free to do whatever you want with. First, get rid of the damsels if you can. They will become aggresive sons of guns and they will cause problems with other more passive fish that you add later on. Second, cook that LR you bought from that lady. You may not like that idea though because cooking takes a few months. If anything, I would at least put the LR you bought in the sump and keep it dark for a month or 2 and let all the algae die off. If you don't get rid of the nuisance algae on the rock now you will be starting in the hole as it will probably not go away will most likely spread to your clean rocks. That is, assuming the rock is infested with nuisance algae. Could you shoot us a close up of the rock you bought so we can check it out. I would just hate to see you start out with an algae problem... the one thing that drives most people out of this hobby.

Thanks for the help Clayton, i will be gettin my Amm test out soon, prolly tomorrow just to get the hang of it! I have thermometer, just didnt hook that up yet! THanks for the help and keepit comin

Travis, i shoot you a pic of the overflow and a closeup of the rock, its hard to get a full tank shot, so ill just be doin sections from now on! Anyways, you should come over here and whip me, cuz when you are done you can hook up my sump. I had it all runnin fine, but the damn thing started leakin from where the previous owner had glue'd it, so now i took it down to reglue all his stuff over. I will prolly keep one of the damsels (so far) its a blue one, no yellow tail, and turns black when its mad (from the move) and seems to be nice so far, but the other one is black and white striped, and that F*($er is gettin kicked out once im done with his poop! I already put the rock in there so i wont be cookin it, but i pulled off mostof the nasty algae when i transported the rock, ill show you a pic. And PS i wont be gettin out of this hobby from algae, maybe my wife naggin about water gettin on the floor, but not algae! Im at work, but tomorrow if i have time, ill get those pics!

-Jid Jid Unit

Glad to hear I'm not the only one at work at this time. Ya those stripped damsels are little stinkers. Gonna be a good time catching him with rock in the tank. You'll be calling him a few choice words by the time you get him in the net....

Ken

Yea the graveshift is the nice and quiet shift (knock on wood) im always on here Sun-Thurs night. Yea i might just go buy a lionFIsh and return him when the time comes,lol. He was actually really easy to catch the first time in the 65, just tricked himwith food. BUt i can see the hard part in my tank with all the rock

May I suggest a few big nets and 2 people, then you can blame the other guy....LOL...

Last edited:
Looking great Jiddy!!

I can't help but laugh out loud at the #2 pic.... You're lying down with your toes poking out of the covers while the wife works on the tank~~ :razz:

Kensn said:
May I suggest a few big nets and 2 people, then you can blame the other guy....LOL...

Good one, im sure ill regret puttin it in there later, but for now its a nice little addition. I also did some research on the rainbow wrasse (mine looks like a lunarre) that they are BOLD temperment too

Woodstock said:
Looking great Jiddy!!

I can't help but laugh out loud at the #2 pic.... You're lying down with your toes poking out of the covers while the wife works on the tank~~ :razz:

Thanks Doni, it was alot of work to watch my wife workin so hard, i had to take a break!

Heres some pics of the algae and some of the wrasse, i was told it was a Rainbow, but it looks like a Lunarre to me, you tell me!

Since i dont have a high-dollar camera thats the best i could get of the wrasse, those things are like jetplanes, zippin around my 400lbs of rock, lol

Yeah, the rock is kinda poopy lookin. The easiest thing to do would be to put it in the sump in the dark until the algae dies off. But, good husbandry and a plentiful hard working clean up crew should also take care of it over time. BTW, may I recommend this place for a clean up crew: www.keyscritters.com Best prices you will find anywhere and they ship everything dry so it saves you a ton on shipping. I stocked my tank with about 300 astreas and 500 ceriths from them.

You are correct on the wrasse. It is a lunar.

How about a pic of that overflow when you get a chance?

Have you thought of doing the mags inline? We did that with a sequence and nearly blew all the water out of the tank, and had to undo it. Man you should have heard the Oceans Motion scream!

We are rethinking that now...

Here's an update for the one or two people that still read my babble! LoL

Anyways, that beautiful rainbow wrasse i got, turns out it is a Lunar wrasse. I read a little about Lunare's and boy-o-boy they are wicked little b******! So i went to my LFS today and talked to my wonderful owner, she tells me what foods i need for the fishes and sells me a coralline LR, I also bought two big MexTurbo snails. $8 a pop might i add. I come home and call my father-in-law to help figure out a shelf unit to go behind the tank, im workin with 6in. and need somthin to but the Mag's on. I drop in the Mexi's and sure enough, my beautiful rainbow wrasse that turns out is a Lunar wrasse attacks and tries to kill my $8 snail???? Well i have to build these shelf rack's so i didnt have time to reach all the way down in the tank (dont want to hear it steve) and grab the snail, i just watch the rai..errr.. Lunar wrasse prowlin aroun' the snail. i get the shelves done, boy they look good, once Chuck lets me upload pics ill show you buddy! And i have Travis' overflow pics to show too. So long story short, lol, its already long i know... I put the two snails in a un-used overflow inside the tank for safety. The cool thing about the LFS owner, she said she will come over to my house and help me catch the little b*****'s so i can sell them to her, and get my clowns! Hope you enjoyed readin this, if anyone even did =*(

-L Jiddy from Rapid City fo' Shiddy my Nitty, lets get down to the griddy griddy biddy baby biddy baby!

I'm sure there are more people reading your posts. There's me, and... Well, there's me anyway.

It's good to hear things are coming along. It drives you nuts when anything picks on your algae consumers. That's the frustrating thing about a lot of aggressive fish like eels and triggers. You can't keep a cleanup crew in the tank without the crew becoming dinner. How much water flow do you have right now? The more flow you have the fewer problems you'll have with bad algae; not to mention encouraging the coralline and beneficial bacteria.

Clayton

Well the shelves where for the 2 Mag12's to be hooked up to there CL manifolds, so right now i only have a powerhead, but once i get around to it i will have 3 1200gph pumps includin' the iwaki from the sump

I was hoping you weren't planning on just the one Mag12. A total of 3,600 GPH should be a good flow for the tank, especially when you can direct the current like you want. Good water movement will also stir things up for your skimmer too.

Clayton

I have the tank setup in thirds, all divided by the section bars. The two end ones have CL manifolds with their own Mag12's and the center section is where the overflow and sump return lines are covered. Each pump is 1200gph

Jidz

Back