Jiddy's 220g MASTERPIECE!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

When i sifted my sand, it seemed like the top part of the sandbed was "crusted" and a light grety layer was underneath the red algae, which was ontop of my nice sand. What should i be testing for?
When you say crusted, does that mean that the sand particles are cemented together or is the grey layer detritus or detrital mulm?

You should test for all of the normal things. Ca, alkalinity, Mg, A, NO2, NO3, phosphates. Depending on how much cyanobacteria you have, you might not get a reading for Nitrates or phosphates because the cyanobacteria is likely absorbing it out of the water column too fast for you to get a reading.

As far as flow goes, the stuff is growing on the glass right were the PH has blown all the sand away from, so it doesnt mind flow

You mentioned on one post that you had a brown algae and now you're discussing red cyanobacteria. Do you still have both. The reason I'm asking is because dinoflagellates love high flow whereas most cyanobacteria doesn't.

Neither cyanobacteria nor dinoflagellates need much in the way of lighting to grow. They can fix their own nitrogen right from the Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates in your tank. Additionally, most tanks have more than enough phosphates to feed them. How do you limit your phosphate inputs and how do you export your phosphates? As mentioned previously, siphoning off cyanobacteria or dinoflagellates is probably the best phosphate exporter there is. No macroalgae even comes remotely close.

Back