Just Got Shocked!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
i went to adjust my float switch and i felt a jolt!! it was weird.. i had a cut on my hand and that is where i felt it... i stuck my hand in one or two more times to be sure and it kept doing it.. i unplugged my powerhead and tried it and it shocked me again.. i unplugged my heater and it stopped..it hasn't done it since i unplugged the heater.. i obviously have stray voltage... do i need to get a new heater or a ground probe???

Scary dude! Be careful! And don't put your hand back in geez! Get a GFIC and fix that heater man

Edit: oops, by fix i meant get a new one

Last edited:
Don't use a GP without a GFCI, you can buy a GFCI at Lowe's & install it yourself, it is very easy, just find the circuit & turn off that breaker, test it to make sure It is off, then the installation is about as easy as any outlet, the box will have a diagram. Do not use the Ground probe without it though, that isn't safe.
Being you figured out the problem, trash that heater & get another, they are cheap. Feeling the current thought your cut is normal because it follows the least path to ground, that open wound provides easy access.

too old?? i'm in my mid 20's... i'm just getting started!!!:evil::badgrin:
i just ordered a new heater.. it's going to take a week.. i guess my fish will be getting shocked for a week:eek:

I'm a rookie reefer and a rookie electrician. I installed 2 gfi's last weekend and it was pretty easy after a little bit of internet searching. A multi-meter or a volt-test-light may come in handy to find out what wires are hot. Good Luck:)
Rollins

I have had two heaters go out on me and shock the crap out of me also. I now leave the heads of them out of the water, which is the point that usually leaks voltage. You might want to get it out of there ASAP because my Kole Tang and Blue Throat Trigger both died because of it. Anyways, good luck.

Okay how cold is it getting there at night? i mean your in Florida and if destin is in the mid to southern part you could be o.k.

Sorry, should have been a little more clear. I replace the heaters and then left the new ones out of the water, so the water wouldn't corrode the head. It might not work but that's where both of my heaters were leaking.

I am not an electrician, but since the fish are not grounded to anything, I do not believe they can get shocked.

Correct ?? (calling any electrician to answer) :)

Kirk

Unless you're sure it's the heater, I'd use a multimeter and check each piece of hardware by testing with each one on or off untill you find it. Otherwise you might just end up having to do it after a week anyway if you find out it's not the heater.

Back