Just Got Shocked!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I check my tank with a meter each week when I do my water changes and it's amazing what stuff will leak power...heaters, and 3 of my maxi jets.

it is definitely the heater.. i unplugged it several times, nothing... i plugged it in, i got shocked.. the only other thing in the tank is one powerhead.. i kept it plugged in...i am just worried that it has been messing with my corals.. the fish don't seem that bothered, but i don't want them to get hurt at all

Well, if they are all fine now and you removed the heater, I wouldn't worry too much about it....

MikeS

the heater is still in the tank..i unplugged it today because the halides will heat the tank during the day.. i will have to use it at night to keep it heated until the new one arrives

Ron, you could of gone to wal-mart & got a replacement until you can get a better one. I agree the the tops is where they leak If they do, regardless if the claim submersible it is good practice to keep that part above the water line, although some may hole up years with no issues, there really is no reason why you shouldn't, If it is too long then maybe get two smaller heaters rather one large one.

i just never thought about it.. i just wanted them out of sight, so i submerged them behind my rock formation.. they do so submersible...i will keep the top of my new one out of the water... i have 2 small heaters that are extra, but they fluctuate..i can set them exactly where i want them and come back and the tank will be 86 degrees..i will barely turn the knob down and the tank will drop to 75 degrees... i don't know which is worse, the crazy temp or the stray voltage

Here's my two cents... Don't stick yer hand in the tank if you have an open wound! you are looking for trouble. There is so much bacteria floating around a healthy tank that can do a lot more damage than a little electric shock. Especially if you have zoo's. Their toxin can do some pretty severe damage. The bacteria in your tank can at the least give you a nasty infection that will be extremely difficult to get rid of. Be careful, man!

I went to HomeDepot tonight to get a voltage meter. I explained I wanted to test stray voltage in a fish tank, but the person I spoke to said they did not carry anything that would measure voltage in water (not even the mulitmeter); everything that had would cause a short out.

He suggested that I check out a company called, Fluke (supposedly in Everett, WA).

Did I happen to get a person that did not know what they were talking about?? I could tell the water part was the kicker.

Kirk

Last edited:
Well, here is the question I asked: I need a voltage meter that can detect stray voltage in a fish tank?

Is this NOT a straight forward question?

So if I use a multimeter, placing a probe in the water will not short out anything???

(Again, I am no electrician).
Kirk

I really don't think they knew how to : " detect stray voltage in a fish tank"

So The question was good But I really don't think they understood WHAT you were asking FULLY !!

"So if I use a multimeter, placing a probe in the water will not short out anything??? "

I am no electrician either but NO it wont !!

One thing to keep in mind, is that due to the fact that you are testing saltwater, you will always get a certain level of voltage reading. It has something to do with the ionic nature of saltwater, and the electrochemical reactions between it and your probes.

I just tested my tank, and I'm getting a reading of between 5 and 33 volts. The interesting thing is, that the reading changes depending on how much flow is going accross the testing probe.

If I shut all pumps off, and test by inserting the positive probe into the saltwater, I'll get a reading of about 5 volts. If I move the probe around in a stirring motion, it will jump up to 12 volts.

I'm still trying to figure out how much is common to expect when testing this way. I still haven't got it figured out.

My meter reads usually between 2 and 5 volts, and is the same with all equipment off. When my heaters and powerheads were bad, it was shooting up into the 50's to 70's.

So what is a normal reading suppose to be? OR better yet, what is the reading NOT to be?

Back