Just Got Shocked!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The voltage was on the low side...

Ive had that happen meny times.. if you bite your nails or have a cut on your hand, and there's a small amount of voltage in the tank... you will feel it on the open skin part

ive had the same thing happen but stick in your other hand that doesnt have any cuts or opens and you dont feel it....

when its a total short your body feels it when you get hit, not just your hand.

leads me to thing like a bad casting or something when they cover the magnets in the pumps or the coils that are inside.... or what ever

ive had power heads go from the new box to the tank and be shorting right then and there...

its good idea to have GFI outlets...

Fluke MM's are the best...

they make some really crazy ones... we have a bunch at work that are like 1500.00 bucks++

burning2nd,

So what value should I be concerned with.?

I have no idea how to read a MM. It is like a person who has keys to a Porsche, but doesn't no have to drive. Yeah, it is a great car, but if you dont know how to drive, it isn't worth anything. <crude analogy>

Kirk

a simple 12 dollar mult meter will work

the directions will tell you how to check for (v) you can..... ive never used one on a tank but it cant be that hard

a good MM would plobly pick up .001v's or less... depending on model

id really have to have it in my hand to mess with it...... but theres no need for a MM if you have unpluged that bad power head already

When you start reading voltages above 50/60 maybe but more like 90 then your into a real problem & not induced, you will know the difference because everything will be dead at that point.

Back