Just joined. Newbie with used 240 gallon.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Oops, my bad. I saw where you said you were going to put coral in there.

Yes, it is currently a mixed reef. Lots of LPS and some SPS. I've had some setbacks with SPS along the way. I'm working on finding the right balance of nutrients to keep both SPS and LPS happy. I like the 8' tank as is gives a good distance for the three tangs to swim at speed.

Yes, it is currently a mixed reef. Lots of LPS and some SPS. I've had some setbacks with SPS along the way. I'm working on finding the right balance of nutrients to keep both SPS and LPS happy. I like the 8' tank as is gives a good distance for the three tangs to swim at speed.

Hope to see some pictures of it soon..

Fish pic. Female Lyretail Anthias in QT
11999515193_636a70621d.jpg

Nice pics… Sheesh! An 8ft tank definitely opens up the possibilities for livestock selection. Cheers!

That's a nice tank. It doesn't look at all like the previous owner let it go. You did a great job. Is that a new stand or did you refinish an old one. I am thinking to refinish mine but it seems like it would be quite the project.

That's a nice tank. It doesn't look at all like the previous owner let it go. You did a great job. Is that a new stand or did you refinish an old one. I am thinking to refinish mine but it seems like it would be quite the project.

Thank you. The stand was refinished with a reddish cherry stain to fit in with the cabinets in the kitchen as one of the requirements to have it enter the house. The previous stain was a very light stain color. I think the darker color gives the stand more contrast with the tank which I like.

Do you mind if I asked how you did it? Did you strip it with a chemical stripper, sand it, or both? Did you do it yourself and how long did it take? My used stand has an Old Maple stain but it doesn't look like it, it looks a bit orangish. I would like a walnut color or something like that. I have the cabinet a hood and side cabinets on each side so there are like 10 doors to get through. Any advice from your experience would be great. I hesitate to leave it as is because I want it to be just exactly what I am looking for.

Do you mind if I asked how you did it? Did you strip it with a chemical stripper, sand it, or both? Did you do it yourself and how long did it take? My used stand has an Old Maple stain but it doesn't look like it, it looks a bit orangish. I would like a walnut color or something like that. I have the cabinet a hood and side cabinets on each side so there are like 10 doors to get through. Any advice from your experience would be great. I hesitate to leave it as is because I want it to be just exactly what I am looking for.

Since I was going from a lighter color to darker I only sanded. This resulted in my going to a more solid stain look as the stain was not even in places.

If I was doing it again I would use a good chemical stripper as I have used in the past with good results. Using a chemical stripper is a very messy job and usually still requires some sanding. Sometimes using a chemical stripper results in needing to bleach the wood to remove dark spots before staining.

I used a marine varnish after staining.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you TangDr, I appreciate your input. I might end up with some more questions later but I appreciate your experience to help me get started.

Back