Just joined. Newbie with used 240 gallon.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

New impulse addition in refugium for now.

12712345153_87c26951d0.jpg

glad the elegance is doing well

Yes, thank you for supplying the wonderful addition. We are enjoying it. A few questions:

1.) Did you target feed the elegance at all?

2.) *This is not a complaint* There is about 1" of skeleton that has shown no flesh. Do you know if it is good to remove this?

3.) Do you know if the elegance divides well?

What kind of clownfish did you get? I have a blue lip clownfish hosting in my elagance coView attachment 44894ral.

Ocellaris Clownfish. That last shot is a bubble tip anemone in my fuge with a Ocellaris pair hosting it. I have a Ocellaris in the display that is starting to show interest in the elegance coral. I'm trying to discourage it from irritating the elegance.

Is your elegance unhappy with the clownfish hosting it?

just a side note on the elegance keep your hands clear of the tips if your messing with the tank. mine stung my hand it burned for 2 days!

1.) Did you target feed the elegance at all? No..I just feed lots of Mysis and had the pumps move the food.

2.) *This is not a complaint* There is about 1" of skeleton that has shown no flesh. Do you know if it is good to remove this? I wouldn't, as once you do it would affect the rest of the coral.

3.) Do you know if the elegance divides well? Dunno...My gut reaction is no, but I've never done it. Theoretically, if you had a fast and sharp enough saw you could get a nice smooth cut. I didn't think you could do this to scoly, but apparently you can, the key again is a fast sharp saw..there are articles on the Internet that explain how to divide a scoly. I would think the same principle would apply to an elegance, but again this is conjecture on my part.

look up crashfirejoe if your interested on fragging elegance, he has had good luck (that is wehre i got mine) i believe he uses a band saw?

The elagance coral benefits from the clownfish. I have some fast wrasses. I like to put big pieces of food in at feeding time. While their mouths are full, I feed smaller food for the rest. Sometimes the clownfish gets a big piece & brings it to the elagance coral. My elegance closes up at night. The clownfish looks for cover elsewhere.

Thanks, I will not worry about my clown starting to shimmy into it then. My tangs are fast during feeding as well, but they can't get everything when I spread out the food. Sometimes I occupy them with Nori first. My elegance also recedes at night.

The elagance coral benefits from the clownfish. I have some fast wrasses. I like to put big pieces of food in at feeding time. While their mouths are full, I feed smaller food for the rest. Sometimes the clownfish gets a big piece & brings it to the elagance coral. My elegance closes up at night. The clownfish looks for cover elsewhere.

Sorry for the double up post. Thanks, I will not worry about my clown starting to shimmy into it then. My tangs are fast during feeding as well, but they can't get everything when I spread out the food. Sometimes I occupy them with Nori first. My elegance also recedes at night.

Sharing a picture I took yesterday of my favorite tang in my tank. The power brown Acanthurus japonicas. I just like this one better than the purple and yellow.

12889504673_e5d30c7db0.jpg

Back