Just started the cycle

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looks great, yes you want a cover on your sump, or stuff like pennies and other metal will mysteriously get in there :)

Looks great, yes you want a cover on your sump, or stuff like pennies and other metal will mysteriously get in there :)

I'd hurry on the lid. With those colors and that child. I'm thinking toy box. With that said, My son was three when I built my first reef and he never added anything to the sump.

Well, I have been monitoring ammonia for the last week or so, it appeared to be at zero as of friday, after a .25 ppm on thursday. I continued adding seasoned live rock and dead sand every day. Last night I took water to BRA just to get a reading from a more accurate test kit, and my cycle appears to be all but done, with nitrites being down to .1 ppm. At this point I have added almost all of my LR (40 lbs seasoned rock) to the tank and my lights have arrived (4'x6 bulb T5 HO). My firefish managed to get into the tank last night, I was transferring a batch of rock and he got inside one particularly porous rock without me seeing it... at least now I don't have to try and catch him later!

Last edited:
Full tank shot, you can see the diatom algae growing, I put in a bunch of snails and some hermits today, there are little trails of "clean" all over the rocks now. :) I also added two small black and white clowns.

img_4310.jpg

Back of the tank, I finished the glass and lexan tops for the sump, and added another piece of 1x3 to the top.
img_4311.jpg

The first of two refugium lights! I found a low profile LED, but it only has 4 lights in it. Good light, but I will need a 2nd to get good coverage of my macro algae.
img_4312.jpg

i have 1 of those lights wont keep cheato alive but calerpa and flame do well under it.

just my experience maybe more forces wer at work i just couldant support cheato just the others. my experience

eek, well I hope it was something else because all I have is chaeto and thats what i bought it for!

Added my tang to the mix, the firefish did not make it though. I think the 2 or so minutes of being in a dry bucket did it in. :(

So I now have three fish total in the tank, but I am keeping my maroon clown w/ anemone out as long as I can to give everyone else a chance to find their "spot" before the little devil comes over. There are only two more fish (MAYBE three)I want to get, one I plan on getting in august or so and the other one I want to get before I put the maroon clown in for the same reason I want everyone else in there first. My only dilemma is that the 50 or so lbs of well seasoned live rock that I put in this tank are all in the refugium, nearly all the rock in the display tank is brand new. I am not sure how much good algae will be growing on it by the end of february. I would like to get a dwarf flame angel and give it time to adjust before that last fish in my old tank gets moved over. I do feed that new product that BRA is pushing "New Era Mini Marine Grazer" so maybe the flame angel will like that? Starving is worse than a run in with the maroon clown, but I would like to prevent both if possible! (the maroon is only about 2.5" long, his stripes just started turning yellow around thanksgiving). What would be the best timing for adding a flame angel?

I think I would add him last to the tank. The flame doesn't eat mysis shrimp at all?? is he starving, is that what im getting from this?

I do not have one yet, but I want to get one. I just figured it would be better for as many as possible to be added before my little berserker goes in the tank.

Back