Kalk Reactor Talk

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have a 24" tall 6" round body
from CFI :)
I evep prolly 2+ gallons a day
And 1 1/2 cups last me like 3 weeks

So I am guessing my 4 heaping spoonfuls is about equal to 3/4 of a cup and that last me about a week and half. At least now I know when I travel I can load up my reactor and not have to worry about it dissolving too fast.

I have always heard 2 teaspoons per 1 gallon of freshwater but I have always wondered "what if?" If you know what I mean.

well two teaspoons per gallon is about right..
Think how many teaspoons are in one cup
I Evep two gallons + a day. x how many teaspoons should = around two to three weeks.

Every month and a half I put one pound into my 8"x24" Kalk reactor chamber. PH is usually around 13. It feeds through my ATO. The toal water volume in my system is 350 gal.

Every month and a half I put one pound into my 8"x24" Kalk reactor chamber. PH is usually around 13. It feeds through my ATO. The toal water volume in my system is 350 gal.

do you have a cylinder or do you use a tub?

If cylinder, your reactor will hold about 5 gallons of water

Mouse would be about 3 gallons of water

1 pound is 1 1/2 to 2 cups of kalk so there are about the same usage.

My next question is do you use real Kalk and where do you get it? I use Kalk from bulk reef supply, I tried Mrs Wages after reading a forum but the rusults varied too much.

Just take caution when loading an improperly designed reactor, you want a almost "clear" water to drip into your system, as "slurry" type of mixture will cause all your pumps and heaters to have a calcium build up overtime.

I use Bulk reef supply KALK
ANd I always like to see clear water out of my RX..
Sometimes I get a little clowdy water but usually clear:)

do you have a cylinder or do you use a tub?

If cylinder, your reactor will hold about 5 gallons of water

Mouse would be about 3 gallons of water

1 pound is 1 1/2 to 2 cups of kalk so there are about the same usage.

My next question is do you use real Kalk and where do you get it? I use Kalk from bulk reef supply, I tried Mrs Wages after reading a forum but the rusults varied too much.

I use a cylinder. I do use Mrs Wages I can't beet the price and usually buy a years supply at a time due to it being a seasonal item here at my local Walmart. I have used some from bulk reef supply and got the same results.

Just take caution when loading an improperly designed reactor, you want a almost "clear" water to drip into your system, as "slurry" type of mixture will cause all your pumps and heaters to have a calcium build up overtime.

Thanks for the tip cali, mine has always been clear or at least 95% clear from what I can see. I do get the build up on the side of the sump but I make sure I clean if off once a week or so.

Back