Kalk reactor users - thoughts on these product?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

class clown

Hi gang,

I have an existing geo calcium reactor, but I'm having trouble supplyng demand of calcium/alk w/ out keeping the PH at normal levels (trying to hover around 7.9 -8.0, but can't quite keep up at these levels)

I was thinking I'd give a kalk reactor a try keep my Ph higher and still supply the system w/ adequate calcium/alk levels.

I've been looking at the PACIFIC COAST KR-140 Kalkwasser Reactor

00000175-20060921113522-83738752.jpg

dimensions are 9.36" x 6.63" wide x 23" tall
anyone tried this before?

alternatively, I was also considering the Precision Marine Kalkreactor KR620:
KR620SS.jpg

Overall Height = 20"
Reaction Tube Diameter= 6"
Reaction Tube Height = 18"
Water inlet and outlet size = 1/4" Polypropylene tubing
Method of feeding = Gravity or Pressure
Supplied Water Pump = MaxiJet 400

You might want to take a look at the one Foster and smith is selling. Its like a little deltec clone. No pump to grind away.

Don

Playing devils advocate: One downfall of this one is that if the stirrer motor does get damaged and needs replacement, it'll cost $60. Whereas if I did the PM product, I'd just replace the pump for $15.:rolleyes:

Couple of things. One thing you can count on is the mj will go bad at a pretty good rate. The stirrer moves slowly it doesnt fling the kalk around. You dont need to worry about solids leaving the reactor or adding any electrontics to prevent it. This is one reason it can be so small and finaly as you mentioned price is lower.

Don

Ben,

I just set up my Korallin C1502 I purchased from Marine Depot. A bit pricey in comparison to some but now that I have it dialed in, I am beginning to like it alot. I am definitely not one to take much advice on Ca reactors yet since I am a newbie on these things but it definitely seems well built, comes with eheim pump (totally silent operation). I purchased a Tom's aqualifter feed water pump since I couldn't very easily set up a gravity feed but I like this feed approach anyways as it gives you a bit of pressure on the feed line instead of just gravity.

I am running it 24/7 and I am seeing very consistent pH. I still need to download my octopus controller data to get a real good picture of reading but in spot checking my monitor, my system water seems to hover between 7.95 and 8.05 (night/day readings).

god, those are sweet machines Mark. probably too pricey for me. since I have a nice calcium reactor, just looking for something ot help me out with my ph and give me a little extra boost.

So what's the best thing to pump the kalk into the sump? you mentioned an aqualifter? are you referring to these little $9.99 things here:

OE1137.jpg

Don - thanks for your thougtful response. I think that makes a lot of sense.

god, those are sweet machines Mark. probably too pricey for me. since I have a nice calcium reactor, just looking for something ot help me out with my ph and give me a little extra boost.

So what's the best thing to pump the kalk into the sump? you mentioned an aqualifter? are you referring to these little $9.99 things here:

OE1137.jpg

Don - thanks for your thougtful response. I think that makes a lot of sense.

Yep... a simple little pump with an output of about 3 gal/hr. Max head 30in but I doubt it will do 3gal at 30in. I probably should install a little filter on the intake because it says it can clog easy. Of course I probably won't get to that until I have a problem. :eek:

have you tried de-gassing your Calcium Reactor effluent? that is what I did with my Geo and I had steady 8.2 - 8.3 pH levels.

Well many ways to de-gas the CO2 out of the effluent. You can drip the effluent into a vase or whatever and use an airstone to bubble out the CO2 to raise the pH of the effluent. You can also let it drip into your skimmer and let that degas it. I also have let it mix with turbulent overflow water and let it work that way. I don't have a tank now but when I did I never had an issue with pH and running a calcium reactor.

well.. you got me thinking Matt.. It worked really well at the beginning, now not so well.

what's changed since i got it? hmm

• regulator - bought a new Genx to replace my milwaukee - don't think this would have any effect.
  • degasser chamber - I filled up with rubble rocks b/c I thought it was good place to store them (dohh) :p (that could be it -- maybe it's not getting as much oxygen exchange as it needs)
  • I added a second PH controller in the reaction chamber - now when my ph in the tank gets too low (7.95), it cuts off the co2. Also, when the effluent water gets too low, below 6.4, it cuts off the co2. - could this on/off/on/off be what's getting me in trouble?
  • got 3 co2 refills since December b/c I must have a slow leak somewhere.

so - just took the whole thing apart, cleaned it, put it back together, sealed all of the threads w/ teflon tape, removed the 2nd ph controller in the effluent chamber, & removed the rubble rock from the degasser chamber. Hopefully that'll help.

question: If I haven't cleaned my PH probe in about a month (I'll do that too now that I'm thinking about it), would it cause the PH to gravitate up? or gravitate down typically?

dude - don't talk me out of a kalkawaser reactor - I want one :D

I think a dirty probe floats upwards but I could be wrong. I'm getting a little rusty on my reefing knowledge. :)

Well I always tried to keep things simple so I just had a basic vase, an air stone and dripped my effluent into that and it always worked. As far as a kalk reactor believe me I'm not going to stop you from buying toys. :) I just think it's unnecessary and something else to maintain and could leak. :)

My Reef Creations is in the process of releasing (I think they're starting to ship now) a line of kalk reactors that're stirrer based with a built-in timer, which I think is pretty neat. They price is a little more than the Drs Foster and Smith one, but its an option as well.

-Dylan

I use the PM and it works great. I have the MJ on a timer and it only runs for a few minutes a day so wearing out really is'nt an issue. What whears out eventually is the impeller and you can buy them very cheaply.

I have had my diy kalk reactor for 6 or 7 years. The maxijet 1200 that mixes it runs 10 minutes 3 times a day. I put a new pump on it 6 months ago and it was the third one. So the pumps last 2+ years each. Works perfect.

I have had my diy kalk reactor for 6 or 7 years. The maxijet 1200 that mixes it runs 10 minutes 3 times a day. I put a new pump on it 6 months ago and it was the third one. So the pumps last 2+ years each. Works perfect.

After you see how easy acrylic work is you could build one for about $40:cool: I mix my kalk for three minutes four times a day. It has a 4"x18" chamber that holds 2 cups of kalk. I evap three gallons a day and top off the reactor every three weeks to a month.
Another benefit I find with having both a kalk and Ca. reactor is that I dont have to be quite so diligent in keeping things finely tuned.

I did some looking around at different Kalk reactors and my general conclusions (after speaking to LOTS of people via PM and threads on boards) was that the stirrer driven Kalk reactors work better over all.
The DR F&S reactor had just come onto the market and not too many people had them when I was looking around, but one guy had his for about a year, and loved it. He'd had the Deltec before and compared the DR F&S favorably against it.

Regarding the Calcium reactors....this is just my opinion, but after having both a Korallin and a Geo calcium reactor, I'm much happier with the Geo. Its easier to set up and dial in. The Korallin is a good unit, but my experiances with it made me realize that its much more media specific than the Geo. I was using ARM in the Korallin and it got clogged up pretty frequently. The guy who bought it from me has nothing but good things to say about it, so they arent bad, I just like my Geo better.

Nick

Back