Kalkwasser...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OK everyone (or just me?), I swapped out media yesterday. I am now using the Custom Aquatic "Bulk Kalkwasser". This is the product I used originally with decent results so we will see now if the added coral mass uses this one up fast now too.

I was hoping to get Caclium Oxide from Warner Marine but they have told me they no longer sell that. I see it is still listed on their web site as "Kalkwasser Plus" but they must not have had enough interest in it.

So now I am on the hunt for high grade calcium oxide and would appreciate any tips on suppliers, whether within the aquarium hobby or in some other industry.

Gads, I'm bummed that WM isn't making the calcium oxide Kalk plus anymore. When I get my kalk reactor back online I will be finishing up the last of the container I have. If you can find some high grade calcium oxide, please post up on this thread, and I'll do the same.

I suppose getting it through the scientific or medical community would be a good start. I was surprised when I was told that since they list it on their site.

So I continue the hunt for high grade Calcium oxide and have found a source in WA with 97.9% average assay. I am hoping to get a sample next week.

Currently the alkalinity is 9.0 dKh (Salifert) and things are going very well. Just as a reminder, I am running the Custom Aquatic "bulk kalkwasser".

Well, I have had a pH event over the last few days. It dropped so low I thought the probes might have been a problem, or some environmental factor, but when I loaded up some TLF, the problem was resolved.

It's kind of scary to think that the Custom Aquatic kalk could be doing fine and then suddenly hit a wall like that. Even scarier is the thought that my system is so reliant on it that when it went south, my pH dropped to 7.65 during the night cycle. That got my attention!

As I was telling Sherman last night, so far I feel the TLF is far and away the best I have tried. Still no calcium oxide to try. I have a kalk sample from another company on the way too.

Back