Kent Salt Mix Has Low alk

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Very cool "heads up" Scott for those using Kent salt mix. I'll have to pm Tony because I know he uses the stuff:)

Oh my! Scott - had you been using the batch you have? How is your pH?

NaH2O said:
Oh my! Scott - had you been using the batch you have? How is your pH?

Yep, its the bucket I used when I did the tank switch

PH just tested at 8.0

Yep, its the bucket I used when I did the tank switch

PH just tested at 8.0

Sorry to hear than man...Do you usually keep it at 8.3? Was anything affected by it? Hope you don't suffer any loses man...And you just got that tank up! If you need someone to go down to Premium aquatics with you I'll go!:p Best of luck man...:)

I just bought my first bucket of Kent salt and it measured 2.80 alk. and 400 calcium. This was done at 75 deg. and 1.024. I have not tested mag or strontium but so far I like the salt. This is a good reminder to test before adding to your tank.

oliver said:
I just bought my first bucket of Kent salt and it measured 2.80 alk. and 400 calcium. This was done at 75 deg. and 1.024. I have not tested mag or strontium but so far I like the salt. This is a good reminder to test before adding to your tank.

I agree, trust me I will be doing that from now on. Obviously I will have to buffer this batch of salt everytime before adding it to the tank . No biggie.

krish75 said:
Sorry to hear than man...Do you usually keep it at 8.3? Was anything affected by it? Hope you don't suffer any loses man...And you just got that tank up! If you need someone to go down to Premium aquatics with you I'll go!:p Best of luck man...:)

I shoot for 8.3. Im not too good at judging the colors on the salifert kit. the test I just did it was light green.

I had 2 out of 3 monti dig RTN on me. I thought it was due to a 2 degree temp increase but the alk may have been an issue *shrug* Everything else looks great

I have used many different salts over the years, inconsistancy tends to be the norm, even with the larger brands. One habit I have gotten into is this...I test EVERY batch I make prior to introducing it to the tank, and I adjust it as necessary before I use it...it's a PITA, but a good habit to get into IMO...

MikeS

I shoot for 8.3. Im not too good at judging the colors on the salifert kit. the test I just did it was light green.

I had 2 out of 3 monti dig RTN on me. I thought it was due to a 2 degree temp increase but the alk may have been an issue *shrug* Everything else looks great

Hopefully nothing else makes a turn for the worse...:)

Willy said:

I'll bet is was your alk and not the temp. My nano tank varies during the day from 79-81.5 and so far (knock-on wood) things are going great. However, I recently almost lost my favorite coral, an alveopora, when I let the alk get >20. After all the reading I have done since, I am convinced that alk is just as important as pH for maintaining corals.

how many people mix 2 brands of salt? i have been doing this ever since the many recent horror stories of bad/inconsistant batches of salt. i dont know if any salt mixes are incompatible but this would lessen the problems of a bad batch from one mfg.

Just wanted to give an update to this situation. This problem with the low alk seems to be fairly widespread. I decided to send kent an email regarding this. I sent the email Sunday the 16th, on Monday the 17th I received a reply asking for my phone number. I replied and today the 18th I recieved a phone call from John from Kent (nice guy btw). He told me to box up a pound or so and get it ready for UPS to pick up. After he tests it he will be getting back to me...

I'll keep ya updated

I sent a sample to Kent marine to be tested. Today John from Kent called me and told me the sample tested very low in alk, as we both knew it would. He then asked what what I wanted to make things right, all I asked for was a new bucket of salt. Was told I would have one shipped out to me..To me that seems like very good customer service as I was satisfied with the outcome. Biggest lesson I have learned is to test my water everytime I get a new bucket of salt regardless of brand. I will post test results of the new bucket when it arrives.

I am afraid Kent does have a low alk level, but when you look at it many manufacturers make it to the specifications of the customer . various brand names are marketed by the same company and all are made differently .Its a case of finding a stable on and sticking to it , which can be a nightmare

Back