kill the crab!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Put your ear up to the glass....
I can hear it all the way from here....LISTEN

"Ding Dong, the Crab's All Gone...
Party, Party, All Night Long!...":music:

Gosh Damn Fishy-Who-Ville you got there, Mac!:D

Maybe someone should call the cops to check in on him if he doesnt fill us in soon. He may have gotten on the wrong end of that harpoon!

lol....I cant believe i still dont have him! I did tear my tank apart however I dont have the holding tanks for all my corals. This may be my next step though! I am going to try the hot water and maybe have the harpoon on an acrylic rod on the side just in case things get out of hand! I was thinking of making one with a rubber band, kind of like a spearfishing spear but, i dont need to crack the bottom of my tank again. It sucks because all of my rocks are ginormous so I cant just scoot them all to one side I may wind up breaking some of them apart and making smaller ones if need be to get them stored in a holding tank for an hour/day/week while i kill this pig. We will see....

Matt, if you need to borrow my big stock tank, to facilitate tearing the tank apart, let me know.

Do you have a deepish sand base by chance? If so you can kill/stun it by smushing it under the rock if you know where he is hiding. I've played this game with a MUCH MUCH smaller crab. he was harder to smush because of his size but instead of lifting the rock just pushed it down and sort of rotated it on him. Because I have a sand base my glass was safe. It wasn't dead after that but injured enough to slow him down. Then I made someone else kill him. :)

lol.....Unfortunately I still have yet to get him. There was a giant sand storm in my tank and once again he got away. I tried to section it off and pull some of the rock out of one side of the tank but as I was sliding the partition down he scooted right under it. This happened and a couple of times but finally I accepted defeat for the night and let my fish calm down. I think they are still having nightmares. When I walk into the room they all hide because they think I am coming to destroy their little world again. I like the rock smashing idea, however, I replaced the bottom of this tank once and don't want to take the chance of having to do it again! I do have a relatively deep sand bed 3" or so, but I have structure rocks all over right against the acrylic because I knew i was going to get pistol shrimp and didnt want everything to come crashing down. I'm trying Krish! I will try to get it before 100 but its not looking good because I leave again on Saturday for a week. So it may have to wait until I get back.

Ok The only thing I can come up with is he tried to catch Crabzilla with his bare hands. I know it takes a little longer to post when you only use one finger. I do it all the time.

I like the rock smashing idea, however, I replaced the bottom of this tank once and don't want to take the chance of having to do it again! I do have a relatively deep sand bed 3" or so, but I have structure rocks all over right against the acrylic because I knew i was going to get pistol shrimp and didnt want everything to come crashing down..

what if you just hold him down and then poke him to death with a large hypodermic needle?

IMO Sally Lightfoot crabs should not ever be sold to keep in a saltwater tank. I got duped into buying one when I was a nube and had the same problem.

Fortunately he was in my 30 gal and he ended up in the toilet.

You should starve him out. Once they are hungry enough they will go into a trap.

Good luck.

You should starve him out. Once they are hungry enough they will go into a trap.

Good luck.

The problem is that the crab is eating his fish so he's not going to be starving anytime soon.

UGH- hope you get him soon!

Week # 2 without an update. Do you have ANY fish left? I have this vision in my head of Crabzilla nestled in his cave shaking your middle at you.

The last time we saw this sally lightfoot crab it was about this size:

100215_crabzilla1.jpg

I have no idea how big it is now??

No, no more fish have been killed yet. I leave tomorrow until Thursday and then it will be on that weekend. I will try pulling everything out again and go hunting all day until I get him. (Well actually, I will be doing it during the night because our whole neighborhood is having a garage sale and we are selling some stuff.) This is getting ridiculous! Its a freakin crab! Why am I having such a hard time killing a stupid crab?! You'd think he would eventually just come out and get some free grub on the sand bed but nooooooooo, he wants to say under a freakin rock covered in corals all day long and eat my fish!!!! More to follow in a week!

Back