Killing unwanted pests (mojitos, Antapseseseses)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tcblightning

I have been boiling water and using a syringe to pipe it down to kill them. The question is what ever way you kill them do you have to remove them? I'm not worried about the decomposing factor but rather can is there a chance they ren't completely dead and float around and establish a new one? ...It's annoying to have to catch these things as they float around in the current!

I have been boiling water and using a syringe to pipe it down to kill them. The question is what ever way you kill them do you have to remove them? I'm not worried about the decomposing factor but rather can is there a chance they ren't completely dead and float around and establish a new one? ...It's annoying to have to catch these things as they float around in the current!

I used to use Joes Juice. I used it when I worked at a LFS with great sucess, and I've used it at home. I've never seen any ill effects from it, but I'd be weary of using it in a smaller tank, and it will kill whatever you spray it on, so don't spray it to close to your coral :)

i have talked to the manufacture about the joes juice and they told me there product is completely safe and if you accidently dumped the whole bottle in the tank it would not hurt anything as its calcium based. I have never had any issues using joes juice. It works great.

My real question is after you "kill" them do you have to remove them? I've heard great things about joes juice but have yet to use it so I don't know if they float around but when I use the boiling water they float around...I need to know if they must be removed or not. Thanks for any help or opinions.

anyone know in the Puget Sound area where one gets a hyperdermic needle?

have several mojitos that I woudl like to kill by using the needle to penerate the mouth with boiling water.

NC2WA- All you have to do is have a syringe attached to some air tube, boil some water, put it in the syringe, point and squirt! They will shivel and "die"...back to my question, do I have to remove them...if I dont will they reproduce?

hmmm..in bothell, we have bothell feed center..i may try them as I know they sell dog vaccines....

thanks

TC, great question, I am hoping we hear some good info on this subject. I have always used Joe's Juice and I never removed the poor bastard that got nuked... but I wonder too if one needs to remove it in case it can reproduce.

You can get a syringe from a hobby store that has a curved tip that comes to a point. I used to use one I cut off so the opening was larger when using Joe's Juice. Especially after it was opened and sat for a while. it always clumps up. Now I mix a teaspoon of Kalkwasser in a couple ounces of water and microwave. It works better than joes. The powder just sits on the mojanos. I cover them with it and then have to touch them with the syringe to get them to close up. They just melt into a slime puddle. The next day they are gone and their puddle. Crabs and snails love the residue. No need to remove the residue. I have killed thousands of them this way. I think mojitos are what you drink to celebrate murdering a whole colony of mojanos.

I use a turkey baster when I use boiling water. After blasting them with it I just let go of it and it will suck them up into it. Then I will have another cup and put them in that. It seems to have been working because I think I have won my war with them.

Back to what TCBLIGHTNING has continued to ask, IMO you don't need to remove thier remains as it and its reproductive spores are dead in that mass of gooo. I have been using 'Aiptasia X' to kill both aiptasia and mojanos sometimes even using it as a "line in the sand" so to say for controlling GSP growth. As Jim said above the clean up crew will take care of remains for you.

Todd

As long as you kill the entire piece with boiling water it wont come back.

BUT in my experience you wont be able to get all all of them completely with boiling water and some will eventually come back. I would use joes juice or aptasiaX. They dont shrink into their hole with this stuff and they just sit there as you cover their mouth with this sticky white stuff. Then they wont come back.

I kept zapping mine, 5 or ten at time, with hydrochloric acid using a syringe and needle.
Eventually it got to the point I couldn't find more to zap, and now, many years later, I still have none in any of my tanks.

You can get a syringe at any pharmacy. Just ask for an insulin syringe. However, you really don't need the needle and it will actually make it much harder if not impossible to dispense kalk paste than a syringe without the needle. I use a syringe from an old Salifert test kit for mine.

I used the syringe joes juice came with. But have used 100% lemon juice to kill any unwanted pests about 1ml per head.

Probably not, I started doing that at the beginning, seems to make it mix better with less clumps. Would probably be fine without heat. Some people do boiling water. This seemed like the best of both worlds.

I am new here, so a big shout out to everyone!!

I tried both Joes Juice and AptasiaX. Joes Juice didnt do squat for me but AptasiaX worked wonders for my tank. I had a ton of aptasia in my tank and even the shrimp I put in didnt even touch them. So I tried Aptasia X on a reccomendation from the LFS and I couldnt be happier. I may have a few aptasia here and there but I can easily contol them. I found that my Emerald Crabs have an appitite for aptasia. Killing 2 birds with one stone.

TNS

Back