Kim's 36

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Oh, and here's a picture of my royal gramma doing his defensive thing with his mouth wide open. He does this when the angel gets too close, and he can't get back to his hole fast enough.

gramma-mouth-open_0708-webs.jpg

WOW! how do you get such great pictures of your gamma? I have one in my 42g but I can never get a good shot. What settings do you use to get such clean beautiful photos?

Oh, and here's a picture of my royal gramma doing his defensive thing with his mouth wide open. He does this when the angel gets too close, and he can't get back to his hole fast enough.

gramma-mouth-open_0708-webs.jpg

Love this picture!

Those pictures did turn out good, Charlie. Too bad my corals don't look that good anymore. I've been having some issues with my tank, and I'm basically just sick of using either inferior testing, or trying to use my spidey sense to figure out what's going on. I wanted some serious equipment . . .

The first thing I got was a refractometer. I tried this quite awhile ago, but gave up and returned it after I just could not read it. This time, I got the Marine Depot Pro model. Wow. What a huge difference! I'm so excited! The scale is limited to only what you'd need, and with a strong light, is super easy to read. Yay! I can finally read salinity very accurately. The bad news was that my salinity was reading 1.018 :faint2: So, through water changes and adding saltwater as topoff, in about 2 weeks time I've brought it up to 1.023 . . . almost there, and the shrimp is doing fine. I feel so much better knowing that every batch of salt I mix up has the right salinity now. I like to be meticulous, it's just really hard to do when you're using inferior equipment (like a swing arm hydrometer). I also ditched my old calcium test kit and got a Salifert kit this time. Another huge upgrade, and a pleasure to use.

Check it out . . .
refractometer_2047.JPG

I was so excited about the salinity and calcium epiphany, that I wanted to see if my pH was anywhere near where it needed to be. I got an American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor.

Here it is being calibrated to 7 then 10:
pH_2039.JPG
pH_2037.JPG

And the moment of truth . . .
pH_2040.JPG

Looks like everything is ok there. I'm having fun watching it change when I add alkalinity (10ml of B-Ionic), and to see how much it changes (from 8.15 to 8.26). It was very informative to see what it dropped to overnight (8.026 this morning) and back up to during the day. I'm so glad I got a digital probe . . I'm loving the accuracy, instead of trying to figure out what freakin color I was looking at.

Yay! Very very happy with my purchases, and hoping to one day soon have a thriving, beautiful tank again. Plus, I get to use some fun techie stuff!

Last edited:
Hey Kim, I really like the little fainting emoticon. Isn't it nice to know that what you are seeing is about the most accurate it is gonna get??? Congrats on the new equipment, I am sure that you are going to enjoy knowing that your critters are in good hands. Make sure you keep the Ph meter calibrated, I have mine on a one month schedule and I find that it does make a big difference as far as the accuracy goes. If I may so bold as to ask what your Calcium and alk levels are??? It looks as tho the Ph is sitting good. I think the salinity thing was the main cause of your stuff starting to go south, it will take a while for them to re-adjust, so just be patient and keep up the maintenance, and life will get better.:biggrin1:

Thanks. I know you guys have probably had this stuff for a long time, but I'm excited to finally have them! Thanks for the tip on the probe . . . I ordered a few extra packets of fluid so I would be ready to go with the calibration.

So . . . here's my test results this afternoon.
salinity 1.025
pH 8.11
Alk 8.5 (Elos)
Ca 490
Mg 1600 (Elos)
nitrate 0 (API)
temp 79.2
phos .50 (Elos) - Yes, it's that high. It was 1.0 last weekend. I am working on this too. I've had an ongoing algae problem, and in trying to get at the cause, I discovered my sandbed is loaded with detritus. I seem to have stirred up a fair amount during a recent vacuuming, which I have never done. The sandbed is so loaded with gunk, that I'm slowly replacing patches of it. I'm going to wait now until I get the phosphates down. I think my ChemiPure Elite is exhausted since the phosphates won't budge now, and after doing a fair amount of research, I'm going to start using BRS high capacity GFO and some of their ROX carbon. AND, I got rid of all the Eheim balls and rings in my canister filter. I basically just have ChemiPure and PolyFilter pads in there now.

Remember the little brown stick coral? Well, here's what it looks like now . . .

indigo%2520blue%2520monti_2051%2520copy.jpg

It's this strange, bluish white now that glows. It still has polyps, but isn't doing anything. I keep thinking it may die soon, but it hasn't yet. The leather is tougher than nails, and so is the blasto, and the hammer. They're all still looking pretty good. **sigh**

So, I forgot to ask . . . what do you guys use for carbon and phosphate remover? Any experience with the BRS stuff??

Kim,
I don't use anything to remove phosphate, and I gave up running carbon because after a week it is used up anyways. Just my .02. I am pretty sure Devon has some experience and maybe Kevin does too.

So, I forgot to ask . . . what do you guys use for carbon and phosphate remover? Any experience with the BRS stuff??

I have not used any BRS products for carbon or phosphate but I would give them a shot!

I used a little chemi-pure in my last skimmer because it had a compartment for it, but since I hooked up the new one (5 months ago) I haven't run any. I don't really intend to use carbon any more. Hopefully paying special attention to the water I put in my system will pay dividends when it comes to the quantity of trouble makers I have to remove.

I do use HBH Aqua-Pure Phosphate pads every once in a while but I don't think they make much of a difference on my system, now. I'm probably going to completely stop using them too and see how my system fares. I do think they work well though.

Thanks Devon. I got the regular GFO and their ROX carbon - will see how it works. I plan on changing it out about every two weeks, and the GFO when it needs it.

Wow, that's a serious looking skimmer, and it even has it's own chair! I will have to peruse your very nice looking website so I can see some more pics of what your tank looks like. BTW, my corals are all starting to look much happier. :)

Back