kpiotrowski's 300DD

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ps. should state that prior to just letting the hair algea go and letting it settle in a bit I was doing weekly 50g water changes. I went through 1200g of salt mix in a few months.

ps. should state that prior to just letting the hair algea go and letting it settle in a bit I was doing weekly 50g water changes. I went through 1200g of salt mix in a few months.

wow thats a lot of water changes. i just bought me 5 boxs that will make 1200 gallons. well i hope you find out what is the route cause of it so you can fix it. how about feeding your fish less food. can you turn the white leds down. are you running carbon and phosguard.

wow thats a lot of water changes. i just bought me 5 boxs that will make 1200 gallons. well i hope you find out what is the route cause of it so you can fix it. how about feeding your fish less food. can you turn the white leds down. are you running carbon and phosguard.

Actually, I pulled the carbon, GFO, and havn't done a water change in 5 weeks......or even tested! funny how its just taking care of itself huh!

only thing I did was upgrade my rodi to an 8 stage with booster pump, stopped messing with the sandbed and blowing everthing arround the tank every week while running filter socks trying to clear all detrius. I actully think I was disturbing bacteria more than anything.

Im not concerned about the hair algae at this time so no need to turn down lights( yet lol). tangs are actually pickin at it occasionlly too.
am mixing water right now for change on friday and will do all test this week.

oh, and actully use measure spoon to feed NLS pellets.

Hey there Kevin. glad i got to check out your big fish tank. looks super nice. thank you for the beer and shots. it was a good time talking to you peppie and iguydude. good times. man you need to stop by my house and check out the 360. next time your in puyallup give me a call. you got the #.

Thanks all and chad just let me know when a good day to come over!!!! Devin, YOU TOO!

....and actually the stereo was NOT turned up all the way lol! That $4,000(new)60lbs mararntz amp packs a punch and is why it was clear with zero distortion.

Thanks all and chad just let me know when a good day to come over!!!! Devin, YOU TOO!

....and actually the stereo was NOT turned up all the way lol! That $4,000(new)60lbs mararntz amp packs a punch and is why it was clear with zero distortion.

right on. lets make it happen. i have lots of free time. it will be more up to you. let me know when you can come up. bring peppie with you. then we can go to devins house also.

Yup for sure.
Good time last night at the end of the weekend.

Very clear stereo lol.
Tank looks good and big.
1st time prob drank scotch lol.
See u guys soon.
-d

right on. lets make it happen. i have lots of free time. it will be more up to you. let me know when you can come up. bring peppie with you. then we can go to devins house also.

I would like to ride along and see your tanks. Need to get Kevin to nail down a day and time.

its a little late to call dave ( old people need their sleep) but I'm down with as soon as tomorow! dave...oh dave....you awake?

recent pic. I finally put some money out on a cleaner crew so we will see what it looks like in the future. I got my hands on a par meter today ( thanks mike) and found out I need to more thn double my par so I am ramping up the LED's ( 216 cree's) over the next 6 weeks or so. I basically have to go from 40%blue and 25% whites to 100% and 80% if I want 400 par 12 inches below the surface. good new is that will also give above 200 par at the Bottom also. Glad i got a cuc now cuz ramping up those lights is going to grow some algea! ( note the front canopy is removed.was woriking on tank when took the shot.)

OMG the irony....so to speak. I borrowed a PAR meter and found I was running my LED's way too low. 150 par at 12inch water depth. I have a lot of flow and the lights are 14inches off the water. so I went up from 45/25 blue/white to 65/50, and eventlually to get 400-430par at 12 inches I will need to go to about 90/80. good news is I will have 250 par at the sand bed so I guess these led's can punch.

so I was thinkin....crap! my hair algea is going to go nuts with the light increase! Well, its been 4 days and the hair algea is retreating with the addition of the cuc but what I really notice is my dual skimmers ( both rated for 500g) are going nuts producing green skimmate. can you say phosphate export!!! so the irony with my high phosphates may be solved simply by this light increase. and to think that common knowledge would usualy dictatate turning down lighting for algea problems. nope, so far the phytoplankton in the water column are getting first crack at the phosphate....I can only hope it continues this way. btw elos test does not detect any nitrate.

Back