kpiotrowski's 300DD

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

N-I-C-E ! Can almost smell the saltwater flowing through there already. And no low-tide jokes here Peppie

​Cheers, Todd

woohoo glad to see this progressing along. Gotta love the ocean motions. I had one on my 120. Great device!

N-I-C-E ! Can almost smell the saltwater flowing through there already. And no low-tide jokes here Peppie

​Cheers, Todd

low-tide....do you see how far that frag tank stand is off te ground. its going to double as a foot soak station!

Don't forget to add supports under ledger on new 2x4 wall or it will only be supported by the strength of your nails? You will have a large frag tank........very nice with lots of room:)

Don't forget to add supports under ledger on new 2x4 wall or it will only be supported by the strength of your nails? You will have a large frag tank........very nice with lots of room:)

thats a cement wall those uprights sit on. I'm not alone on this one lol, "never fear....peppie was here!"

Good company for sure but i was talking about the side across from that "_

That ledger is part of plan B, LOL
The tank will run past the joist an sit on the 2x4 plate to the right. The joist will just help distribute the weight of the bottom of the tank.
I guess it wouldnt hurt to add some cripples, I ran out of wood. Maybe I should take some time and sharpen my pencil.

If you lag with 1/4" min. lag bolts 32" oc it will pick up the weight right now the weight is being picked up at the wall and on top of 2x4 wall. The joist as framed is only picking up a load of 160lbs of shear weight per nail......if they are 16 sinkers? Right now your joist are non bearing per Cal code but since your in Washington i will shut up....lol
Just messN with my buds long distance:)

Looks like great framing to me. I'm sure it's over built if Dave did it. Did he measure the studs with a 32th or 64th inch of accuracy? Remember Dave, its a tank stand not a cabinet.

I've opened up a few OM's. Whats the question?

If you lag with 1/4" min. lag bolts 32" oc it will pick up the weight right now the weight is being picked up at the wall and on top of 2x4 wall. The joist as framed is only picking up a load of 160lbs of shear weight per nail......if they are 16 sinkers? Right now your joist are non bearing per Cal code but since your in Washington i will shut up....lol
Just messN with my buds long distance:)

Well if my math is right, that would be 720 lbs per 2x4 hanger. There are 5 hangers, 3600 lbs total if I were using 16d sinkers. Code up here says to use Teco nails, (4 per hanger) they have a much higher shear rating,. Rest assured we will get some lags or cripples in the ledger.
You are more than welcome to throw s&*% our way. Cause were made of rubber, we all know what happens when you throw things at rubber. LOL

Last edited:
Looks like great framing to me. I'm sure it's over built if Dave did it. Did he measure the studs with a 32th or 64th inch of accuracy? Remember Dave, its a tank stand not a cabinet.

I've opened up a few OM's. Whats the question?

WOW This is great. Its like I got two builds going!! LOL
I didnt even have a tape measure with me at Kevins. I just kinda eye-ball it!!

dave was over again, and fish wall stands are ready for finishing. There will be a 150g square water container at the end of the frag tank for the return pump section and the frag tank itself will be gravity fed from the sump taking advantage of free flow.

here is dave puttin the level to the frag tank.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back