kpiotrowski's 300DD

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wow the time is flying by. So what has been going on? ME! over thinking things and procrastinating...but there has been much progess too.

first off last week I spent ANOTHER $300 on plumbing....man its got to be close to a grand so far JUST FOR PLUMBING. so I take out all the receipts from hardaware stores from my wallet and lay them out. But following Peppie's advice..." don't even add them up man" he said. I didn't! but can say its somewhere between $700 and $1000 and that doesn't include a $1200 trip put on a credit card.....and the previous $6200 I was in to this project before that.

When all said and done and I add my apex and mp40's etc etc etc.....I don't even wanna know the cost.....$20k....$30k more????

So here is a pic of what sent me into a week long depression lol.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now that I know I'm going directly through the wall into the garage, instead of outside the house and back throug the gargage wall. here is a pic of the back plumbing and holes in the wall.

there is a 1 inch full siphon drain, an 1.25 tuned, and 1.5 inch emergency drain. dual 1.5 inch to single 2 inch closed loop supply lines and dual 1 inch to 3/4 supply lines. everything was plumbed with the objective of having minimal sharp bend ( 90's etc).

how the plumbing goes through the wall.

Last edited:
So Dave came over to "help" me put the tank into in final resting place. I had a small bottle jack and some cribbing and the whole plan worked out. ENTER... "LEVER MAN". Dave had a differnet idea. Use leverage. From there on out it was Dave in charge and me following directions.

so much for my plan....which would have worked....maybee even better??? ( I used to install mobile homes and hence of done my share of moving things in place with bottle jacks) BUT, I always love to watch and learn from dave and his use of levage is.....lets just say I am sure his blood lines built the great pyramids!

so here is the tank in place. this will be the "before" pic of a room shot as the next one will at least be with rock work.

oh, and yep I painted the wall.....and the wife has me painting the whole house but, a small price for her allowing the tank in the first place, right!

a tank close-up, "before" pic. the "after" pic will be once I have buffed out the front panel. Does'nt really need it...but this is the time to do it!

Things should come together fast now. Well, at least fast compared the the last few months. I'm thinking water and rock by june.

Wow the time is flying by. So what has been going on? ME! over thinking things and procrastinating...but there has been much progess too.

first off last week I spent ANOTHER $300 on plumbing....man its got to be close to a grand so far JUST FOR PLUMBING. so I take out all the receipts from hardaware stores from my wallet and lay them out. But following Peppie's advice..." don't even add them up man" he said. I didn't! but can say its somewhere between $700 and $1000 and that doesn't include a $1200 trip put on a credit card.....and the previous $6200 I was in to this project before that.

When all said and done and I add my apex and mp40's etc etc etc.....I don't even wanna know the cost.....$20k....$30k more????

So here is a pic of what sent me into a week long depression lol.

You do know that your wife has the opportunity to view this site?
You are either , brave, naive , drunk, or have a very very understanding wife.

Keep the faith your almost there") We all go through a money splat once in a while when doing big systems:juggle:

Ya I know I did when building my 360 gallon. I didn't keep track of how much it cost. Didn't want to freak out. Keep up the good work. Its all worth it. Its only money. Right

Keep the faith your almost there") We all go through a money splat once in a while when doing big systems:juggle:

Thanks bud. sometimes it just gets nauseating when you think in terms of annual income vs build cost.....and monthly power bills.....and what the heck am I doing! lol

ooh i feel for you! Getting mine going was brutally expensive! Now that its all up and going its priceless to me :)

When I set up my 120 built in my wife kept track off all our expensed on quicken and was very good at itemizing everything for my business. She wast too happy at the end of the year to find that I spent $9800.00 on a fish tank. Two years later I upgraded to the 210 and there were a few tanks in between. The expenses never stop if you have ANY hobby. Tell her it's better than a loud hot rod in the garage that is constantly hogging up thousands of dollars

When I set up my 120 built in my wife kept track off all our expensed on quicken and was very good at itemizing everything for my business. She wast too happy at the end of the year to find that I spent $9800.00 on a fish tank. Two years later I upgraded to the 210 and there were a few tanks in between. The expenses never stop if you have ANY hobby. Tell her it's better than a loud hot rod in the garage that is constantly hogging up thousands of dollars

as I single parent at a very young age I spent most of my life working for my family. Only recently have I made a point of doing things fo myself. so its a little shocking at this point even though I already new I was well over the 12k mark into my 120p an 65g.

What i have found out that when doing large builds is its much cheaper when you buy/build/set up them quick. Also cheaper when you don't do DIY's and most important don't HEAR voice's:)
I have just about built two systems with planning, research, buying, building, changing mind, selling products already bought, planning some more, buying the new products, designing, building, buying, building.........ect:)
Now i am sending my four close loop pumps back because they are having some problems with my size. Now plumbed for four pumps and back to the drawing board!
Now its foam wall aquascape time:)
300lbs dry rock $ 600.00
14 cans of foam $ 140.00
10 sheets egg crate $ 120.00
300lbs sand RDSB $ 150.00
Flex pvc & fittings for structure $ 40.00
Foam wall marine sealer $ 150.00 2 part
Acrylic rods $ 30.00
Wood form material for foam wall $ 25.00
Maco mud for rock structure $ 40.00

Do i need all this and a foam wall.............? No but i am willing to wait until i have the funds and can do it because this is what the hobby my build means to me:)
Just like stylaster said.............once the wounds heal.....priceless:frusty: lol

What i have found out that when doing large builds is its much cheaper when you buy/build/set up them quick. Also cheaper when you don't do DIY's and most important don't HEAR voice's:)
I have just about built two systems with planning, research, buying, building, changing mind, selling products already bought, planning some more, buying the new products, designing, building, buying, building.........ect:)
Now i am sending my four close loop pumps back because they are having some problems with my size. Now plumbed for four pumps and back to the drawing board!
Now its foam wall aquascape time:)
300lbs dry rock $ 600.00
14 cans of foam $ 140.00
10 sheets egg crate $ 120.00
300lbs sand RDSB $ 150.00
Flex pvc & fittings for structure $ 40.00
Foam wall marine sealer $ 150.00 2 part
Acrylic rods $ 30.00
Wood form material for foam wall $ 25.00
Maco mud for rock structure $ 40.00

Do i need all this and a foam wall.............? No but i am willing to wait until i have the funds and can do it because this is what the hobby my build means to me:)
Just like stylaster said.............once the wounds heal.....priceless:frusty: lol

I sure hope this "Foam-Rock wall" is documented before I get to putting mine together. I sure cant spend that much doing mine. LOL

This is exactly why I dont keep tract.

I don't for the most part since i pay as i go but there is alot of pieces when doing foam/aquascape with a 8' long 30" tall DT. I have been reading/researching aquascapes for months and am really looking forward to this part once i finish buying all the materials:(:focus:

Back