Kris’ 390g Drop of Ocean

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

IM not too sure about the first one but the last two are pics of the dreaded hubby creature. As long as you agree with everything it says, pet it occasionally, and feed it well your reef should thrive. ;)

I definately wouldn't use the sand from HD because it'll jack everything up and you'll get blooms until everything gets used up. If you want to spend alittle less mix in a few bags of crushed coral. It will fill some space and give the substrate a realistic look. Just make sure you rinse it really well so your tank isn't cloudy for a month.

Yeah I have decided to bag the HD sand idea. I have enough problems with algae without giving it something to feed on! I have read a lot about people using southdown white play sand, but all my searching shows it is out of stock everywhere! So I think I will just be looking for some dry sand packaged for marine aquariums, at least it saves a little over the cost of live sand.

pics of the dreaded hubby creature. As long as you agree with everything it says, pet it occasionally, and feed it well your reef should thrive. ;)

:eek: I have to agree with everything . . . don't think I can do that! Maybe I can try some Joe's juice on it!

So after taking last weekend off for some R&R, I got busy on the plumbing. I did a leak check yesterday and started adding saltwater tonight. Got enough in to kick on my closed loop pumps-I sure like the flow they are kicking, the tank is only two thirds full but right now the water looks like it is boiling at the surface.

I also picked up a Calcium Reactor today.

I will post some picks in the morning.

Progress pictures

Leak test: First water in tank!

Rock Racks

So for my birthday I asked for sand, a tiger shark algae magnet and a bubble king skimmer . . . I got the sand and the tiger shark algae magnet:lol:

You know your tank is big when you need scaffolding to work on it:rolleyes:

Plumbing and equipment so far . . .

Calcium Reactor

Adding the first saltwater . . .now isn't that some crystal clear water:eek:

Look at that flow! (I know the picture is not the best, my camera wanted to focus on the drops of water on the acrylic)

Looks Awesome K. Great organization on all the plumbing. This is gonna be an amazing tank.

Thanks, my husband kept saying it looked like a cluster$%^# of plumbing. I must have spent at least 8 hours sitting on the floor just contemplating the plumbing . . . if I run this one this way, can I get this one in still? The good news is due to a drip I discovered when I did the leak test I tested my ability to pull out most of the plumbing to clear the way to work on something, the left side took a little more manuvering as the overflow pipes are on that side but I was able to remove the closed loop plumbing, OMs and pumps in just a few minutes!!! Got to love those true union ball valves!

It does look good. Congrats on the new Ca Reactor BTW. Ive been eyeing that sucker all summmer but just couldnt get myself to give up the reactor I just bought.

So for my birthday I asked for sand, a tiger shark algae magnet and a bubble king skimmer . . . I got the sand and the tiger shark algae magnet

So now that you have some experience with this method...for Christmas you ask for a BubbleKing skimmer and a new car. :D ;)

Seriously, everything is looking great. Can't wait to see it filled with corals! :)

Hey Jan, do you give classes on this system of your's? I asked for a new skimmer or a new truck and I got the truck!

Wow--a full sized truck and everything? Not a toy model? :eek2: I'd say you learned the most valuable lesson already: marrying the right person! :lol:

Thanks, my husband kept saying it looked like a cluster$%^# of plumbing. I must have spent at least 8 hours sitting on the floor just contemplating the plumbing . . . if I run this one this way, can I get this one in still? The good news is due to a drip I discovered when I did the leak test I tested my ability to pull out most of the plumbing to clear the way to work on something, the left side took a little more manuvering as the overflow pipes are on that side but I was able to remove the closed loop plumbing, OMs and pumps in just a few minutes!!! Got to love those true union ball valves!

It looks like a cluter to me too, but its only because I dont know what I'm looking at. :eek: Plumbing is not my gift.

So anyway I was checkin' out your rack... and I have a question. What are the taller spikey pegs in the back for, to hold up the rock?

Looks great btw!

So anyway I was checkin' out your rack...

Boy, you dont see that on RF to often.

Sorry couldnt help it :rolleyes:

I hope your livestock move is going well for you this weekend.

So I turn my back for a minute and all you guys start talking about my rack:shock::lol:

I am hoping to use the taller pegs to hold up some shelf rock I have while leaving some open space underneath for both circulation and to give those new fish somewhere to hide where I can not possibly see them and I will think they did not make it until suddenly a few weeks later they come out!

I decided to hold off on transferring all the livestock this weekend, the water in the new tank is still pretty cloudy from the new sand. Next weekend will definitely be move weekend. I have to have surgery on my wrist on the 15th and would like to have the tank occupied so I can lay on the couch and watch it while I recover. I really miss having my fish in the living room!

I did move all of my rock that does not have coral attached into the new tank. I also started putting together the light rack. Trying to use this weekend to tie up some odd and end tasks on the tank.

Back