Kris’ 390g Drop of Ocean

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Got a new piece of equipment for the tank this week (this about doubled the cost of the tank set-up:eek::eek:)

Once hooked up this unit will run off of propane and should run most of the house during power outages. The best part is it will auto-start within seconds of the power going out.

Got to try this bad boy out last night! Power went out around 12:45 and was not restored until about 6:45. By the time I woke up enough to realize what was going on the geneator was already running.

Real nice not having to get up and drag the generator out of the garage and get the tank back up and running. Only issue we had was that the power flickered a few times, the generator kicked on during one of the flickers and then back off when power did not go out, so when the power finally went out it took about 15-20 seconds for the generator to start (we are guessing it had not fully re-set itself from previous cycle seconds before) This allowed some of the water from the display to go into the sump so when everything started up the level was a bit high for the skimmer. As a result the skimmer filled the cup up with water (fortunately did not overflow this time).

I am wondering if there is a way to program the Aqua controller to not start the skimmer back up for a minute or two after a power outage? This would allow time for the sump to return to normal operating level prior to the skimmer kicking on.

Kris,

congrats...you will love it...I love mine and it did go on last week when we had the storms.

I am wondering if there is a way to program the Aqua controller to not start the skimmer back up for a minute or two after a power outage? This would allow time for the sump to return to normal operating level prior to the skimmer kicking on.[/QUOTE]

power for your skimmer will not be on till,,,just need the slow power pick relay,so you can set it up to have it power up to 5 -8 mins delay,,hope that help

BTW ,,that very nice set up,,
could you link me the info,thanks

Im with Dang with the electronic timer kit that you can buy cheap.

Or you can also put a water level switch since the water level on the skimmer/sump is always fixed.

RK-30-0032-000 Premium Aquatics - RK-30-0032-000

RK-30-0032-000.jpg

power for your skimmer will not be on till,,,just need the slow power pick relay,so you can set it up to have it power up to 5 -8 mins delay,,hope that help.

Or you can also put a water level switch since the water level on the skimmer/sump is always fixed.

RK-30-0032-000.jpg

Thanks, will look into this! It has not been an issue with the weekly system test, but the power flickering seemed to cause a slight delay, if the skimmer cup had been slightly fuller when it happened I would have had it overflowing. Glad I got up to check as it may have overflowed before morning just throught the normal output.

Last edited:

RK-30-0032-000.jpg

that even better idea and save,,for sure skimmer will never on untill the water level down to what you want and nomore over flow,
great throught Cesar,,,

Those are truly great pictures.
But youR tank is breathtaking and has ruined me to keep my fish only tank a fish only tank.
When I saw your great build and flawless plumming design. I had to give it a small scale try.

Thanks Art, can not wait to get you to a club meeting. The reefing community in the area is fantastic. My tank is nothing compared to what a lot of people have.

Glad to see that your investment in a generator has already justified itself. I currently have a 120 gallon tank and a portable generator, but that was more than enough to get us through the monster winter storm recently. When I upgrade to a larger tank, I will definately have a whole house genset like yours.

BTW, how is the Goniopora doing? I love the colors of yours and now that ORA is actively propagating them I'm seriously considering trying one. Any special tips or treatment that you give this coral that you can pass on?

Nick

Back