Large Angels

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cowgirldani

horses - koi - reef
I have always wanted to have a large angel. It started when I saw my first imperator angel at SWC. I realize some say they do fine in there reef tanks, others say no way.

But Ive also heard people not having trouble with asfur or majestic angels. If fed right, will they not bother corals? Would love to hear personal experiences.

Input would be greatly appreciated :D

Its a gamble, but you can try. Its really up to the individual fish if they are going to nip polyps or not. Statiscally yes, they will nip polyps. Of those that are succesfull in keeping non-nippers, most attribute it to large frequent feedings that keep the angel full enough to where they dont try to eat your corals. Some may go for a long time ignoring polyps, then suddenly change their mind as they mature and their apetite and food consumption changes. Just depends on how much coral your willing to risk, and how much your willing to shell out for each attempt at finding a non nipping angel.

Peace

You could give it a try. If by chance you got a 'bad boy' or girl, you could always call Super Nanny in and get her to straighten things out. Little 'air time' on ABC couldn't hurt your tank either. :)

thank you for all the input! :D

I have heard more success with the majestic angel versus the others,

the other thing we are considering is getting a nice tang. I love the clown and sohol tangs, but hear that they can be extremely aggressive towards other tank mates. Really looking for color and personality. Nothing really aggressive. Any ideas in this species?

We have the 250 and want to get something that stands out.

thanks again!! :cool:

thank you for all the input! :D

I have heard more success with the majestic angel versus the others,

the other thing we are considering is getting a nice tang. I love the clown and sohol tangs, but hear that they can be extremely aggressive towards other tank mates. Really looking for color and personality. Nothing really aggressive. Any ideas in this species?

We have the 250 and want to get something that stands out.

thanks again!! :cool:

Dani,
I love the personality of Naso Tangs. Larger Nasos have Mask that are highlighted with silver and vibrant blue with gray. The last Naso I had could not have been any more personalable. He would eyeball me across the room. He always greeted me when close to the tank. :)

naso's are great. my personal favorite is the sohal, however they can become quite a stinker, they are somewhat aggressive, but very beautiful

I have a large emperor angel in my 300gal sps tank. I bought him as a juvenile and he will nip at lps, zoas, crocea clams, maxima clams, gigas clams, carpet anemones and gorgonias. I have attempted all of those. He wouldn't leave my acan alone, killed a coral beauty when he was still a juvenille and ate a flower pot coral. He also eats any aptasia he can reach.

He leaves my sps, squamosa clam and derasa clam alone. I actually think he prefers blue clams. Won't eat noxious soft corals, leathers, green star polyps etc. I had a favia in the tank and he didn't touch it. I also put a meteor shower (not sure of actual species name) in the tank and he didn't touch it. He leaves my bubble tip anemone alone.

I just recently setup another tank to be able to keep acans and zoas. I love our fish. He is all of our favorite fish. My husband hand feeds him and he swims right up to our face when we look into the tank. When I try taking pictures, it actually becomes annoying because he's always in the way. Great personality and also territorial. He is the king of our tank with our desjardin sailfin being second in command.

I really like the blonde naso tangs, achilles tangs and powder blue tangs. If it wasn't for my husband insisting on the sailfin we'd have a powder blue.

Here's a picture of him. His name is Emperor Kuzco.
emporer_angel.jpg

Last edited:
My husband hand feeds him and he swims right up to our face when we look into the tank. When I try taking pictures, it actually becomes annoying because he's always in the way.

or when you're trying to look down into the tank at the frag rack to see what frags you would like to scuttle home with . . . he's good at blocking that too. :) He even turned his body sideways to block as much of my vertical vantage point as possible, kind of as if to say "this aiiiiin't gonna get any easier till you feed me".

or when you're trying to look down into the tank at the frag rack to see what frags you would like to scuttle home with . . . he's good at blocking that too. :) He even turned his body sideways to block as much of my vertical vantage point as possible, kind of as if to say "this aiiiiin't gonna get any easier till you feed me".

Yeah, it must be the food. He's a pig.

We have a queen , we found what she likes to pick on. she killed a few of our stony corals 2 clams, so we keep just softies in with her. we also have a 8 inch naso tang male, 5 inch yellow tang and 4 clowns in with them in a 210 gallon tank;

Pete & Chantal

what size tank do you have?

do your research on a majestic angel..they can be skiddish and hard to feed, but once fed they are a great fish to have..

I plan on having multiple angels in my 375g once I get my algae issue under control with the help of Eric. :)

My large Imp is somewhat different.

Have Blue clam, hammer, and frogspawn no problems. However will eat colt soft coral?
Also, great personality.

Last edited:
hi very risky to keep angelfish in reef tank, they will pick most they see,
i have problem with 2 angel fish one is aldut Emperor angel his like to allt my polys is the kost to my ,en majestic angel his like to eat allt my beautilfu mushrooms,his make me almost cry for it, so i design to set upp fisk tank only for them is much beter,but ef you want to kept angel fish in reef tank go for it just juveni is ok they will let evething along,i think,
here the link of emperor angelhttp://www.youtube.com/user/goby1

my tank 400galon most the fish i have in the tank ,what you guys see it ,i sole them all,
now i have 3 angel en 1 clonw trigger fish grown very quickly,my favourite, Emprore angel very nice fish en easy to feed,but his it very easy get ich,but i cure with cooper his like that
still live until to day,when the time i keep him in to reef tank, his is not bother any other soft coral, only polys his eat allt, majestic angel easy care feed,maybe first 2 days you introduce
always hide under cave don,t worry after that his come out pick something then eat like a pig,,,,bluering angel this guy very very easy fish,

Have you looked into any of the genicanthus angels? From what I've been reading they are not herbivores and will not pick at the LR. Unfortunately the only ones I've found for sale are Lamarck's angel and the swallowtail angel. They're both pretty but not eye catching like some of the others you've mentioned.

Back