LED lights?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wolfman13x

I need some opion on LED lights. I am green as they come for salt I'm doing all the reserch I can before I even start buying anything for my tank. My question is are LED's good for growing corals? Has anyone had any issues with LED lights?

Wolfman13x

what size tank do you have? that might be the most important along with what livestock you want to keep in there

I was running a 4 bulb T5 fixture on my 55 and my girlfriend was running a 150w metal halide with pc actinics over her 30 cube we both switched to LED's and I have to say we love them. Less heat, less power consumption, great coloring, and a wonderful shimmering of the water. All the corals in both of our tanks are transitioning just fine, full polyp extension and opening up.

Wolfman, I too have been looking into LEDs. I have looked at the Radions (nice but EXPENSIVE) and I have looked at the OBD Helios 120s and 180s. Very nice lights and much more reasonably priced. Take a look at them and speak with Mojoreef about his product. Also look at this http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f70/aquanauts-250-deep-dimension-tank-growing-since-99-a-65718/ OBD did the light set up and I spoke with Aquanaut and she is very pleased with the lights she has. I am VERY strongly considering getting the Helios for my build.

Yes that is right Chichas01, but they are moving out of the Gen 1 into the Gen 2 and they retail for $649. Great light, yes, but is it worth the price? That is the real question.

I love LED's! I have Kessil A350 over a 10 gallon AIO. Talk about overkill huh?
No heat issues or anything and the light is adjustable. I know a lot of LED fixtures are also adjustable, like the Radion, AI SOL or Vega, etc.
You can even build your own LED fixture if you're into DIY or something. It really depends on your needs, budget, etc.

I don't think there's a difference between LED's and halides in coral growth speed. If there is, it's probably negligible.

Good luck on your find!

I was talking to another reef member who had Radion's. He advised I needed an open hood due to the Radion's having a fan on the bottom that sucks air up through the electronics. He said the salt air eventually eroded the electronics because of the salty air that accumulated in his closed hood. Radion replaced both for him.

I dont think and open hood is a requirement for led fixtures but you do need to make sure the hood is well ventilated, a lot of folks that retro fit their hoods will put in a number of cheap computer fans to blow air into the hood. Having the fans built into the bottom of the fixture IMHO was not a good design feature, but I guess they assumed the lights would be not hood bound.

Mojo

Yes that is right Chichas01, but they are moving out of the Gen 1 into the Gen 2 and they retail for $649. Great light, yes, but is it worth the price? That is the real question.

I read somewhere that the difference between the gen 1 and gen 2 is the tir lens.
I am rapidly becoming a fan of the Radion led.

Pretty much, yeah. Gen 1 is going to grow corals just fine. If your tanks is deeper or you want to place the corals low, then TIR is an option you get on the Gen 2 or just add later. The light is built to be completely modular so upgrades as the tech improves are going to be a snap. I imagine that at some point when they include true UV LED's in the cluster, I'll upgrade myself.

Pretty much, yeah. Gen 1 is going to grow corals just fine. If your tanks is deeper or you want to place the corals low, then TIR is an option you get on the Gen 2 or just add later to the Gen 1 The light is built to be completely modular so upgrades as the tech improves are going to be a snap. I imagine that at some point when they include true UV LED's in the cluster, I'll upgrade myself. Don't know of too many other lights that versatile.

As far as mounting, the light just looks so bad @$$, why stick it in a hood? I really like the way it looks with the hanging kit.

Last edited:
I have the Kessil on my 35g hex and does awesome! I have a dyi on my 14g cube. I have a mix of soft,LPS & SPS in both and everyone is awesome been about a year
I love LED's! I have Kessil A350 over a 10 gallon AIO. Talk about overkill huh?
No heat issues or anything and the light is adjustable. I know a lot of LED fixtures are also adjustable, like the Radion, AI SOL or Vega, etc.
You can even build your own LED fixture if you're into DIY or something. It really depends on your needs, budget, etc.

I don't think there's a difference between LED's and halides in coral growth speed. If there is, it's probably negligible.

Good luck on your find!

I was worried about going from metal halides to LEDs. My new Innovative Marine 30 gallon cube came with a LED dimmable set (nothing special, whites, blues and night time) and my corals have never done better.

My LFS was steering me away from LED lighting, saying they noticed that it started to bleach their coral. Has anyone else had this issue?

My LFS was steering me away from LED lighting, saying they noticed that it started to bleach their coral. Has anyone else had this issue?

IMO you should find a new LFS . If their corals are bleaching "due to led lights" They are doing something wrong! I bet they dont sell Leds.

:/ He also told me that aptasia isn't necessarily a bad thing in a tank. Nothing I've read says that. I might be new, but isn't one of the reasons it should never be in a reef tank is because it can't be controlled? I thought that was a red flag of something you should look for before purchasing anything from a LFS tank.

Back