Let's See Some Zoos!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Just got these. Martin I thought of you when I got the burgundy PE's. I had never seen any that "red".

Heres a few pics for this thread! I think im starting to get addicted to zoos!

blue%20and%20green%20zoos.jpg

close%20up%20orange.jpg

im not exactly sure why zoos do that........ anyone know? im assuming it probably has to do with lighting, but thats merely a typical guess

i researched it a little bit, and it seems that longer skirts are due to higher flow...... so if you want short skirts ;) go with low flow!

In my 40 gallon zoanthid tank I have a mag 9.5 and a mag 7 for return pumps.
I also have a mag 12 on a closed loop. I have 2 maxi-jets on it as well.
I have gotten frags from other people that have less flow in their tanks and I haven't noticed any change in the phyiscal character of the zoanthid itself.
I don't think that is going to change. The color will because of lighting and other envirmental factors.

i researched it a little bit, and it seems that longer skirts are due to higher flow...... so if you want short skirts ;) go with low flow!

ya it does with flow, i just can't find a spot in my 30 that will go short skirts, with over 1000gph in it it's hard to find low flow w/ good lighting

ya it does with flow, i just can't find a spot in my 30 that will go short skirts, with over 1000gph in it it's hard to find low flow w/ good lighting

I have almost 4000 gallons of flow in a 40 gallon tank. That's adding up all the powerheads and return pumps and allowing for head loss.
Most of the zoanthids I have all have short skirts. I've had some for a couple years and they haven't changed.
I just don't see how more current is going to change the genetic makeup of a coral.

I have almost 4000 gallons of flow in a 40 gallon tank. That's adding up all the powerheads and return pumps and allowing for head loss.
Most of the zoanthids I have all have short skirts. I've had some for a couple years and they haven't changed.
I just don't see how more current is going to change the genetic makeup of a coral.

I have seen this with some of the zoas I have traded.

blue_zoo.jpg

My old tank, low flow with PC lighting (my old budget reef, great zoa tank).

Blue_Zoas.jpg

Blazzer88's tank (medium flow with MH lighting). I am not sure if the flow causes the longer skirts. There are probably a lot of factors. (Rick, I hope it is ok. I referenced your photo here. It is a great shot.)

Back