lets see the BLASTO'S!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

this one really is starting to color up
bright_red_blasto.jpg

picture update
green_blue_blasto.jpg

If I may, to critique the photos to help you and other folks take greater shots of these beautiful creatures:

image 1) has a staggeringly too shallow depth of field. Reduce the aperature (make a bigger F-stop number) and increase the light above the coral and then the specimen will be in sharper focus over at least the depth of its body

image 2) same as above, except this one has an additional problem: you exceeded the minimum focal distance of your lens. When you get closer than the min. allows (check the mfg website or your manual to see whatthat number is) what happens is odd things like we have here: the foreground is out of focus because you got too close, the mid ground is clear(er) and the background is out of focus (shallow depth of field)

FWIW, my friend

With a little adjustment, you could take even better photos. :)

Thanks for the advice.

I am guilty of never opening the manual for my camera :) I really need to do some homework.

I just finished reading your book of coral propagation. I really enjoyed it. It made me think of all kinds of ideas that my wife hates :)

if handy, do check out my first issue of the C Journal... it has a photography column with an article that is a crash course on aquarium photography. FWIW

Back