Let's See Those Clams!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

here are some new pictures of my clams, my teardrop maxima, and my crocea. I'll also post of my derasa.

Last edited:
my derasa, it has added almost 2 inches of growth, in the past year!! I hope it doesn't outgrow my tank!!!

Last edited:
I just bought this guy from Aquatic Dreams yesterday.(I love those Weekly Specials) :D
The second pic is an above shot i tried to take but it didnt turn out very well.

Here are two Crocea's I bought from www.clamsdirect.com

1st two pics are from their website.

110TearDrop_Crocea.jpg

110s_Crocea.jpg

The next series of pics are ones taken with the clams in my tank. I just got them yesterday, so I'm still waiting for them got get all settled in.

110Teardrop_Crocea_closeup_02-10-05-med.JPG

110Blue_Crocea2_02-10-05-med.JPG

Here is a neat pic that I took showing how the colors of Crocea's will shift depending on viewing perspective. Its one clam in this shot, the blue crocea.

110Perspective_color_change_Blue_Crocea_02-10-05-med.JPG

Nick

Thanks Kevin,
I'm really liking the two clams....
I had to get my Lawn Mower blenny out of the tank...he was nipping at them...repeatedly.

Nick

My lawnmower has never nipped at anything. At worst he will lay inside the mantle of my clams, this doesnt seem to bother the clams one bit, he will also get in my LTA with my clowns and the clowns dont seem bothered either. I guess I just got lucky with mine. I hear so many bad stories about them.

Well I wasnt really thrilled about to say the least, but I can say that my clams have opened up all the way now that its gone. The very first Lawn Mower I had wouldnt eat anything. I saw this one at the LFS with a pot belly and it was munching on every bit of algae it saw, and yet left the 3 small clams (2 maxima's that were an inch and 1 derasa that might have been an inch and a half) alone. I guess my clams looked good enough to eat!

Nick

Maxx I got the clam notification the other day, and quickly went to clams direct, and saw that teardrop looking croc. I was like wow that is the nicest crocea I have ever seen, who is the lucky guy who already bought that! haha, it was YOU! congrats, it is a beauty.

Thanks Big T!!
Yeah, that was pretty much an instant decision to buy...as soon as I saw it I had to have it. I'm really happy with the way it looks too. I wasnt really sure I'd dig the blue one as much as I do though...I sorta figured it would be okay to have, and would make Rocio (my fiance) happy to have.....But its just as pretty as the Teardrop.

Nick

Beautiful clams, everyone - thanks for sharing! Oh, man - now I GOTTA have some clams!! :D Never thought they'd interest me, til I saw some at Kevin's, then wandered into this forum and now I've really got it bad! Planning new 150, Mike is helping with CL design - can't wait to get the tank matured enough to go see Kevin, get educated, and get me some sweet, purty clams!! :D

i have a Q? Placement of a clam is important. so were is the best place to put Crocea,Maximax Gigs ect , on the Rocks,sand bed or ??
Darrell

Ok I guess its time for some more pics to go up..
From Left to Right
Crocea, Squamosa, Gigas, Derasa
DSCF0408.sized.jpg

Gigas
DSCF0416.sized.jpg

Crocea
DSCF0432.sized.jpg

12" DErasa
DSCF0398.sized.jpg

Crocea
DSCF0415.sized.jpg

For more Clam pics please check HERE

Hello Darrell,
Placement is very important. Place them with the byssal opening on a flat surface in an area with low water flow. They will attach in a day or two. Be sure to place them in the location you want, as it is difficult to remove them once they attach. I place them with the inhalant siphon slightly lower than the exhalent siphon so the mantle is more visible from the front and shows better color (this position also insures the byssal opening will be contacting the rock or substrate).
Sometimes they are not happy in the location you wish to display them and they move or jump off their perch. You can prop them up with small rocks or chip out a small depression in the rock. Be sure to pick them up and keep a close eye on them until they attach. One way to keep them from falling over until they attach is to place them on the substrate with a rock buried just below the surface. The substrate holds the clam up while it attaches. After it attaches carefully pick up the clam with the rock and place it in the location you want.

Regards,
Kevin

Darrell,
Kevin gave you some great information, but there is one other consideration when placing a clam in your tank.....lighting requirements.
Maxima's and Crocea's need the most light, followed by Derasa's and Gigas clams, finally, the least light needy are the Squamosa and Hippopus clams.
Maxima's and Crocea's are rock dwelling clams, (although my two previous Maxima's kept jumping off the rock and were happiest on the substrate....go figure), and they require more light than the others. Derasa's and Gigas clams are the largest in size and the fastest growing clams, so plan accordingly when placing these clams in your tank. I had a 3 inch Derasa double in size in about 6 months...and Gigas clams are 'sposed to grow even faster.

A good book about clams is Daniel Knop's "Giant Clams". Its more scientific rather than how-to-keep-in-the-home-aquarium sort of info.....

As soon as I get home from work, I'll post up link or two on helping keep clams in the home aquarium.

Nick

I just have a question about the lighting need for a clam I have a power compact setup with two 96 watts bulbs so 192 total would that be enought if I kept the clam near the top of my tank? Needless to say I am a newbie so any info would be really helpfull Thanks

Here's a little information on lighting for clams.
The species most commonly encountered in the hobby are (listed from smallest to largest) are:

T. crocea (9")
T. maxima (14")
T. squamosa (16")
T. derasa (20")
T. gigas (48")

Lighting provides much of the nutrition for clams 3” or larger.
The smaller the specimen the less light they require as the mantle is not as developed and the clam relies on filter feeding to a greater extent. To rely on light alone I recommend 3”+ clams. IME clams 3” and larger do very well without supplemental feeding.
The first 2, T. crocea and T. maxima are the most light demanding and are best kept under metal halide lighting. The next 3 can be kept under PC’s (power compacts) or VHO’s (very high output) and they will do quite well.

HTH,
Kevin

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to get a T. maxima but I guess I should wait until I get a bigger tank with better lighting.

Back